xxvi | get loose

"You're dating Harvey fucking Taylor?" Lennon's friend, Charlie whispered from across the table. "A Cannibal?"

Lennon sighed before leaning herself on the palms of her hands. "We're not really dating."

"So what do you call a guy who was your real first kiss, your first date and someone who kisses you in front of the entire student body?" She asked, a smile making its way into her face.

Charlie recalled the day she first spoke to him when he made an appearance at her art class, and from that moment up till now, she realized that he was changing for the better.

Lennon bit her lip and kept quiet but not before a slow blush crept up her neck and onto her cheeks.

"I knew it!" She shouted, now grabbing the attention of other people at the table, who then acknowledged Lennon's presence.

"Hey, Len." Lennon wanted to roll her eyes at the sound of that voice but she held the smile on her face as she turned her attention onto Jenna Fouler.

Jenna Fouler was one of the most annoying people to ever cross her path, and considering the fact that Lennon likes almost everyone it was a shock.

"What do you want, Jenna?" She asked politely, trying not to sound too eager to end their communication.

"Why is it that you slept with Calvin and Harvey at the same time and you get to be Harvey's girlfriend, but when Kayla over there does the same, she gets her tank top ripped off in front of the whole cafeteria?" Jenna rolled her eyes. "Seems a little odd to me."

Kayla Stamley kept her eyes downcast in shame as she heard her name being mentioned.

"Jenna shut up," Charlie spat, glaring at her intensely. "It's not your business."

"Oh, you shut up," she said in return. "Just a month ago, you were telling her how bad he was and suddenly you're all for it?"

"What matters is I support my best friend no matter if I approve of who she dates," Charlie explained. "Unlike you, who exposed their own friends in front of other people to prove a point."

"Hey," she defended with a laugh, "everyone knows Kayla over here is a huge slut and a whore. No need to be frank about it."

"No," Lennon murmured while squeezing her bottle of uncapped Pepsi in her hand, making Charlie's and Jenna's head snapped towards her.

"Did the mouse say something?" Jenna heckled, raising her eyebrows in a mocking gesture.

"Don't ever call anyone a whore or a slut," she told her while raising her voice. "She's a girl, your own friend, who enjoys having sex. That doesn't mean you should berate her because of that."

"I'm not going to stop," she countered immaturely, leaning over to get in Lennon's face. "Whore, slut, slut, slut, who-"

Lennon splashed her soda in Jenna's face, causing her to reel back and slip over the spilled liquid.

Her scream rang throughout the cafeteria, effectively silencing the area once again.

Lennon could feel her body shaking with anger, and she slowly got up from her seat to leave the cafeteria.

"Len-" she cut Charlie off.

"No," she said as calmly as she possibly could. "I need a moment."

"Harvey, look," Calvin said from the Cannibals' table, pointing over to where Lennon usually sat. He turned around to see Lennon getting up from her seat and a wet looking Jenna Fouler looking shocked on the floor.

"I got this," he said, before jumping out his seat and following her out the doors.

Lennon pushed open the exit, pacing back and forth in the corridor in front of the cafe. She shook her head in anger, wondering how she managed to lose herself like that.

"Hey." Her head snapped up and she met with Harvey's eyes. "What happened in there?"

She didn't say anything but she wrapped her arms around his body and began to sob.

Harvey sighed and hugged her back while whispering reassuring words into her ear. He scooped her up into his arms and she tucked her head into the crook of his neck.

"Come, let's get you cleaned up," he coaxed, kissing the top of her head before leading her to the Cannibals' room.

Quickly he unlocked it, and he was glad no one smoked in here today as he took a whiff of the air.

He set her down on a box, where she curled up into a ball and continued to cry.

He grabbed some Kleenex from the box and leaned down to wipe the tears from her face.

"Baby, I hate to see you cry without knowing what the reason is," he pleaded with desperation.

"Why am I so messed up?" She choked out. "I can't do anything right, and I screw up everything no matter how hard I try."

Harvey pulled her up from the box, and sat her on his lap. "I don't know if you know this, but you're just perfect to me. And I know for a fact that the only thing that you're messing up is my heart."

Lennon gave him a watery smile and leaned back into his chest. "Are you sure?"

He let out a laugh before turning her head to look him in the eyes. His hand reached up and brushed the hair from her face. He then traced his thumb down the outline of her face before he reached her lips and let it linger on her bottom lips before slowly pressing his lips onto her own.

It wasn't this one moment that he realized that he might love her, but this was one in a long series of memories.

------
a/n: ayyyyyye its summertime! it's actually fucking lit

that means less tests and more writing and I'll be able to finish all my story by the end of summer

vote comment share do whatever but lmk that you like the story

all the love, rachel