xv | it's a fucked up world

xv. it's a fucked up world

Calvin was high as shit.

Well, usually he was but today he was higher than usual because of his mom.

His ditzy mom decided today was the day she would finally visit her son after two years of no contact.

She was traveling the world but she didn't send him a single postcard like she promised she would on this trip.

What in Calvin's right mind thought she would actually do it this time? Every time she goes on a trip, she always make false promises and broken commitments to keep in contact with him. It never happens.

All he could do was laugh in her face and light a joint when she expected a hug from him.

"Put that out this instant!" His mother sputtered, her expression one of shock.

"Or what?" He retorted, taking a drag and blowing the smoke in her face. "You'll ground me?"

"I mean it, young man!" She yelled at him.

Rolling his eyes, he pushed past her and continued to smoke. "Oh please. Maybe when you start acting like a mom, I'll fucking listen to you."

Now he was sitting on a park bench, in the middle of the worst areas in town, just smoking. He walked out the house and just kept walking and walking until he found himself in Nickerson Gardens.

Being here was better than being at home with his delusional mother.

He threw the blunt across the street, and laughed at what his life was. He was so sick of everything.

"Calvin?" His head perked up at the sound of his name and his eyes widened when he saw Lennon staring down at him with curious eyes. "What are you doing here?"

He continued to laugh as if she said something hilarious. "I have no fucking clue."

Lennon raised an eyebrow. "Wow, you're really stoned."

He nodded and patted the empty space next to him. "Please, sit. I could use some company."

She hesitated before sitting down next to him. "Why are you on this side of the city?"

Calvin was silent before he blurted: "my mom is back."

Lennon raised her eyebrows. "Your mom? I thought-"

"Yeah, she takes a two year trip, doesn't contact me or anything, comes back randomly and expects me to run into her arms like I would when I was a naïve little boy," he told her, tugging harshly at the curly locks atop his head.

"Hey, hey," she tries to calm him down by prying his hands away from his hair. "Hurting yourself won't make your mom a better person. But you can be."

His heavy breathing stopped and he sighed. "Why do things have to be so fucked up?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "What can I say, it's a fucked up world."

"How was your day?" Calvin asked suddenly, his demeanor changing almost instantly.

"Uh, I..." Lennon was startled by his change of emotions. "I went on a date and had my first kiss today."

"First?" He asked in disbelief, his eyebrows almost shooting up to his hairline.

She nodded her head, a faint smile on her face as she recalled the memory. "It was perfect."

Calvin smiled in relief. "I'm glad you had fun. You deserve the best."

She blushed and moved her eyes downward. "Thank you."

Her phone then rang, and her fingers rummaged through the pocket of her blue and yellow letterman jacket. When she saw who was calling, her lips tilted downwards and her eyes darkened.

"Sorry, I've gotta go," she murmured before standing up from the bench. "I'll see you in school Monday, okay?"

She tried to force a reassuring smile at Calvin when he gave her a look, but she couldn't push herself to lie to him.

Suddenly, he was no longer feeling as high as he was before. "Lennon, remember what you promised to tell me in the library the first day we met?"

Her eyes widened, and she shook her head. "I-I can't."

Standing up, he grabbed her wrist and brought her closer to his body. "Please. I'm begging you. Please tell me who is hurting you."

Sighing, she ran a hand though her hair. "Let's just say that there are some nights I'm so scared to go home."

Calvin closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, a gesture he only did when he was livid. "Your family is doing this to you?"

She sighed again, while rubbing a hand down her face. "Not exactly. Look, I have to get home, I'll see you Monday-"

Calvin looked at her with disbelief, before yanking her back by her wrist. "Are you fucking mental? There's no way you're going back to your house after when you just told me."

"See!" Lennon yelled, pushing him away from her. "This is exactly why I didn't want to tell someone, you'll just make everything worse!"

Calvin was beyond confused. If she was in an abusive situation with her family, why would she want to stay any longer?

"Lennon," he whispered, taking a step towards her. "I just wanna help, okay? Please. If you find that you can't go home, give me a call."

She was wary about the whole ordeal but she tentatively nodded her head and watched as Calvin scribbled his number into a brown sheet of paper before he handed it to her.

"Wait a minute," she called as he walked away from her. He swung back around and looked at her expectantly.

She glanced down at her phone, before looking back at him. "I might have to take you up on that offer."

----

a/n: I hate to put author's notes on this story but I just felt the need to.

this is where the plot finally thickens, and I'm so excited because I actually wrote out what's going to happen from beginning to end and we're like a fourth into the story as of now.

I feel bad because the only reason I'm updating is because I'm in a country with nothing else to do but type and it finally helped me get over my writers block lol

-rachel.