xxix | nature valley bar

"So, Oakley," Mrs. Kohl started while slicing into the breaded chicken on her plate. "How has school been for you this year?"

Oakley smiled politely in response. "It's been great! I'm in the top 5 percent of my class, so I'm hoping everything falls into place."

"Do you know what colleges you're applying to?" Free's father asked, his brown eyes staring at her with curiosity. "Farrah hasn't really brought up her top choices with us, so we're unsure of what types of schools she would like."

Free's head jerked up at the the sound of her name and she looked in Oakley's direction, who was glaring at her.

"Well, I suggest a school that has a great acting program," she suggested before taking a sip of water. "She's proven to be quite the actress these past years."

Free's eyes widened and quickly diverted her eyes to her untouched plate.

"You've been awfully quiet, Farrah," her mother noted, her full attention now on her. "How have your classes been? Did that stubborn English teacher finally give you the grade you deserve?"

"Hmm, you never told me you were struggling in English too!" Oakley revealed, a gasp leaving her lips to emphasize her fake bewilderment.

"Too?" Free's father caught what she was insinuating and raised an eyebrow at his daughter. "You never told us you had other issues in school. Why didn't you come to us?"

Oakley could barely stomach her distaste at Free. She had a family that cared deeply about her, and she could see it. Why would she lie about her parents?

She's probably been rubbing it in our faces that she had two happy parents while we all had fucked up sperm and egg donors, she thought.

That was enough to send her jerking up out of her seat.

"I just forgot!" She shouted, before cringing inwardly at her high pitched tone. "I have to get home, you know, curfew and all that."

"Oh, no problem!" Mrs. Kohl reassured her, with a flick of her wrist. "Farrah, walk your friend to the door."

Free reluctantly stood up from her chair, and trailed behind Oakley.

"It was nice to meet you!" Mr. Kohl bid his goodbye with a bright smile. "It's nice to have one of Free's friends come over. We were starting to think she just made you up!"

She forced out a laugh before her eyes cut over to Free. "I can assure you Sir, I'm not made up."

"Have a nice night!" They chorused, before looking back at each other and giggling like a bunch of teenagers.

She longed for her parents to be as loving as them, or as they used to be when she was a child. And here Free was, taking her parents for granted by lying about their marital status.

"You too," she replied weakly before rushing through the foyer and out the front door.

She was almost at the end of the pathway and to her car when she felt a hand on her shoulder. "Oakley—"

Without hesitation, she reeled back and punched Free in the face with all the force she could muster. "Get the fuck off me, you lying bitch."

Free cradled her cheek, which she could feel puffing up already but she continued to stare at Oakley with wide eyes.

"You've been lying to not just me, but the rest of our friends about your parents," she seethed, her fisted hand tightening with with each word. "I don't even know why the hell you would even lie about something like that."

"I just... the day when you asked my what happened to my parents, which was right after you decided to bring me in the group, you all had that same trait," she explained. "I just wanted to fit it, so I lied a little."

"People tell white lies about doing their homework. People also tell white lies about remembering someone's birthday when they forget completely," she spat. "But people don't fucking lie about having parents that love each other to their best friends for years just to fit in."

"I was a stupid freshman back then—" she tried to excuse her behavior, but Oakley was having none of it.

"No. You're still as stupid and immature as you were back then," she told her with a shrug. "I was just too nice to say it, and you were just too dense to see it."

She unlocked her car, and opened the door to slide in. "We aren't friends anymore. And I know how close you and Finn are. Don't you fucking dare get in between us, or I'll make sure you'll never breathe the word 'Cannibal' again."

She slammed the door in her face and started up the car before zooming off, leaving her shell shocked ex best friend sitting in the dust.

-----
a/n: I've been sitting on this chapter since August I'm so dumb

But if you don't get the title of the chapter, it's because nature valley bars are very crumbly and inconsistent, just like Free's life.

Update coming soon, because I'm halfway through the next one already.

-rachel.