xx | helping hands

Calvin stormed to the other side of the room, and yanked Lennon's upper arm to get her attention. She jumped back, her posture tense before turning around and relaxing when she saw it was him.

"Hey!" She greeted, her lips pulling into a smile. "Didn't expect to see you here."

"What happened to your hand?" Calvin was straight to the point and didn't beat around the bush.

"I, um, I slipped and fell down a flight of steps," she muttered, scratching her upper arm.

"Bullshit," he spat, before tugging her away from the guy she was talking to.

"Hey man." Riley Gilmore, one of the players on the basketball team, put out a hand to stop Lennon from moving. "We were just talking."

"And we were just leaving," Calvin replied, before his eyes narrowed into slits. "Move your fucking arm out of my way."

His tone of voice must've reminded Riley that he was a Cannibal, because it look less than a second for him to move away.

He dragged Lennon through the living room and out the back door, where it was much quieter, and not many people were present.

"What the fuck really happened to your hand?" He demanded, glaring at her. "Didn't I tell you to call me-"

"If I did that, I would've ruined your friendship!" She raised her voice, her face beginning to flush with anger. "Look what I did to you and Harvey! For the past month, you guys can barely look at each other and I feel so guilty all because you decided to butt in and attempt to help!"

"Hey, no one told you to go ahead and say a ludicrous statement like that!" He yelled in return. "Fucking me?! Is that the best excuse you could come up with?"

Lennon ran a hand through her hair and she yanked at the strands harshly. "God, this is so messed up! I don't know what to do! It's all too much!"

Calvin immediately felt horrible for yelling at her. "Hey, wait. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled at you, it was uncalled for."

"It's not your fault," she told him with a small smile. "It's mine, maybe it's the universe's way of saying I deserve it."

Calvin's eyes widened. "Are you crazy? In no shape or form is this your fault. You don't deserve any of that."

Lennon didn't know how to feel at the unlikely support he gave to her. Usually she was used to other people using her, so it was almost surreal to see someone else willing to help her like this.

"Wow," she stammered, before reaching out and giving him a hug. "Thank you so much, it really means a lot to have a friend like you."

"No problem," he chided, returning the hug. "Call me anytime if...you know."

She gave him a small nod before turning and heading back into the house.

He waited a few seconds, his mind still reeling, before heading back into the house as well.

Silently, a wide eyed Harvey stepped out from the dark shadows of the back yard, an unlit cigarette between his lips.

So she lied about sleeping with Calvin? He wondered, finally lighting the cig up and taking a long drag. What could she be hiding that was so bad she felt the need to lie about?

He had to get to the bottom of it.

-----
a/n: ok I totally skipped out on all my statistics homework just to writing like three chapters so I'm getting a zero for sure lol

-rachel.