viii | the land of gods & monsters

ix. the land of gods & monsters

Harvey laid on his bed, contemplating if he was willing to get up for school.

Sleep was too precious to him, but he knew he had to get up eventually. Better it was now then for it to be later.

Standing, he stretched his hands behind his head and cracked his back. He walked into the bathroom to get ready for school.

Once he was all set, he jumped into his car and drove off to school.

Parking towards the back of the parking lot, Harvey jogged up the steps to the school and into the lunch room, where the rest of the student body would be until the first bell rang.

He casually strolled over to their usual morning table and took a seat in front of Oakley, Calvin and Free.

"So," Harvey started, a wide grin slapped on his face, "good morning!"

"Someone's quite chipper for a Wednesday morning," Free grumbled, taking a sip from her coffee.

"Aw, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" Harvey teased.

"You're about to find out if you don't shut up," she growled.

He chuckled and glanced at Calvin. His eyes were concentrated on something across the room.

Following his gaze, Harvey looked and saw the girl who spilled food on him a week ago, sitting down alone at a table.

"Hey, who's that girl you keep staring at?" Harvey asked Calvin.

Calvin snapped his head up at Harvey, as if he was woken out of a trance. "Huh? Oh, nobody."

Harvey narrowed his eyes at his cryptic behaviour.

He then stood up. "You know what? I'll just go talk to her, since you're too pussy."

Calvin heard what he said, and tried to protest, but it was too late. He was already halfway there.

She didn't see him, until he plopped himself on the bench in front of her.

He smiled at her and she yanked a bud out of her ear and sent him a smile in return.

He felt the pit of his stomach warm slightly at the sight of her.

"Hi," he greeted. "I'm-"

"Harvey Taylor," she finished. "Everyone knows your name."

He chuckled awkwardly, and rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh, um, yeah."

For the first time in high school, he regretted being notorious. Harvey didn't want this girl viewing him the same way the student body saw him.

"So what's your name?" Harvey questioned.

"Lennon, Versailles. Lennon Versailles," she blushed when Harvey sent her an amused look.

Suddenly, he remembered something. She saw all of them at the club, doing drugs.

As if she read his mind, she said, "don't worry, I won't report you guys."

"That's not why I'm here," he quickly responded.

"Then why are you?" She asked, a confused look on her face.

"I want to know you," Harvey blurted out, not having control of his mouth.

She was silent for about a minute, before she stood up from her seat.

"If you actually knew me, I bet you would regret those words coming out of your mouth." With that she walked out of the cafeteria.

Harvey sat there, taken aback with her statement. What on earth did she mean?