xxii | the worst is yet to come

The weekend passed by quickly after the party, and everyone made their way back into their usual routines.

Subconsciously, Calvin would sweep the hallways, find Lennon and shoot her a reassuring smile, as if a smile was enough to erase her doubts and worries.

Lennon walked the hallways to her locker in the morning, her head tilted toward the ground to avoid contact with the rest of the student body. In the course of one month, the majority of the school started to distance themselves away from her ever since she was called a slut by Free. Only the athletes that were her friends before associated themselves with her, but the rest of the school already took Harvey's side on the whole ordeal.

She heard a few snickers from people when they looked at her, and her eyebrows furrowed before arriving to her locker. When she got there, she gasped.

The word "WHORE" was written numerous times in bright red lipstick all over her locker.

Lennon stared at the words while her hands started to shake and her bottom lip trembled. In a panic, she tried to wipe the words away, but all she did was smear the letters in a mess of red.

This was day it finally happened. Lennon, the girl who always seemed to be carefree and sincere, broke.

She broke.

"God!" She screamed, punching the locker door over and over. "Dammit!"

Lennon continued to pound into the locker in frustration, trying to take the words away from in front of her and from behind her eyelids.

"Lennon. Lennon!" Strong hands pulled her away from the door and dragged her away.

"Let me go, let me go!" She shrieked, trying to get away from Harvey, but his grip was relentless.

He didn't let go until bright California daylight intruded her vision and the emergency exit door shut behind them.

"Are you okay?" Harvey asked, his chest heaving in an attempt to catch his breath. "Your knuckle is bleeding and I think you probably broke something."

She shook her head, looking anywhere but his direction. "I don't feel anything right now."

Her body felt numb as if she was given a shot of morphine or procaine to her whole body. But her façade soon cracked when she felt a tear slowly roll down her cheek.

"Lenn-" he made a motion to move towards her but she shook her head.

"I'll be fine," she murmured, forcing a smile on her face. "I've always been fine."

Harvey stared at her, before laughing. "So your definition of 'fine' is lying to me about sleeping with my best friend and getting him to lie about it...for what? For kicks?"

Her eyes widened and her lips parted in shock. "How did you-"

"Find out?" He asked, an eyebrow raised. "Well, at Friday's party I happened to go out for a smoke, when I overheard the two of you talking and you said just that to Calvin."

She sat on the ground and didn't say anything. "I can't tell you why I lied."

"Fucking bullshit!" He yelled, making her jump slightly. "If you can tell Calvin, I know for a fact that you can tell me."

"Listen here, you little fuckboy," she spat angrily, getting up from the floor. "My secrets are not going to be the prize in a competition fueled by male testosterone."

His glaring eyes softened, and he sighed. "I'm sorry, it's just the fact that you made me think for a month that you fucked with both Calvin and my emotions was gnawing at my pride. I just really like you."

"Liked," she corrected, a sad smile on her face. "You probably can't stand the sight of my face anymore."

Harvey's eyebrows raised. "Quite the contrary actually. I still like you as much as I did a month ago."

"R-really?" Lennon stuttered out, her big brown eyes wide with surprise. "I thought you hated me."

"Well, I sure as hell tried to," he told her with a laugh. "But you make it so hard."

She blushed and looked down at grass in the space between her legs so he would see her burning cheeks.

"So do you want to start ov-" he instantly cut her off.

"I'm not doing that bullshit because we aren't going to just expel the past that just occurred," Harvey explained. "In order to actually work through the issue we'll actually have, we have to keep in mind that the past occurred."

She nodded slowly, understand what he meant.

"Come," he ordered gently, holding his hand out to help her up. "I want to take you someplace."

"Where?"

"You'll see."

-----
a/n: alrighty so the way I write is that I only post a chapter when the next one is already finished so if I ever get so caught up I have a chapter ready to post

but yeah a lot of interesting shit will happen next chapter so yay and there's a lot more "harnnon" or whatever

all the love,
-rachel.

(damn I wanna be Harry so bad)