35. Dancing with Deucalion

My colleagues told me I should go to school, that Danny was safe and well. Obviously not if he's in a hospital. Last night he was stuffed with parasitic mistletoe to the point of near death, sounds like not okay to me.

On the bright side, he did seem better. A steady heartbeat and was sleeping due to the amount of drugs they've pumped into him. His face was relaxed and not in discomfort, that was enough for me right now.

The darach going after Danny made me uneasy, whoever they were. Danny isn't a healer so why attempt to kill him? He's not supernatural to my knowledge. I'm missing something, Danny is either being used as a pawn or found out too much.

As a blind man entered the room, I bolted to my feet.

"Easy now Atticus, I come in peace," Deucalion said as his cane hits across the floor. He faced me with a neutral expression with sunglasses on.

I pull him up a chair and sit next to Danny protectively. My eyes focused on the alpha's every mood.

"I admire you devotion to your friend, Ethan has been telling me you're rather fond of him."

"Good friends are hard to come by in a town of murderous wolves."

"And murderous hunters and druids?" Deucalion questions me. "I've heard you're rather skilled, controlling wolf rage and inflating a punctured lung. Consider me impressed."

I scoffed, "well it's impressive what you pick up when you aren't butchering people like steaks. So why are you here? What do you want? To bore me with more of what you know?" I said defensively.

The alpha laughs at my comments.

"Scott's sidekick is really rubbing off on you," Deucalion pauses. I wasn't sure if it was for dramatic effect or if he wanted a serious tone. "Which pack will you be an emissary for?"

The thought had never crossed my mind. Helping people was always my first concern, it's what I was born to do. On the other hand, staying out of werewolf business won't be helpful to the people I'm trying to help.

"Would you be offended if I said just not yours?" I chewed gum and observed his smirk.

He takes his sunglasses off and cleans them thoroughly, "and why not? What's so bad about us?"

"Apart from the episodes of murder, there's just not a lot there for me."

Deucalion puts his freshly clean glasses back on his face and turns his fidgeting to his cane. Connecting and disconnecting it to an eerie tempo.

"And Derek had never killed? Spare me. You've probably killed more than all of us, who are you to sit on your pedestal? If that's your standard you'll have to excuse me but I find that rather hypocritical."

I chewed my gum, my eyes never leaving the alpha of alphas. My jaw clicking just as awkwardly as his cane.

"I had never said I'll be supporting Derek, he isn't keen on my last name." I lean my posture forward reducing the distance between us. I adjusted my emotion to a far more serious one "as for killing, I've killed more people than you've seen days. The difference is I killed feral animals which needed to be put down. Unfortunately, I'm trying the McCall vegan diet, so no extermination's from me."

Deucalions face was citrus sour and neither of us broke from our positions for a minute.

"You're a talented kid Atticus. Smart, fit and intelligent. Yet you're lacking vision and ambition. If you're being told from a blind man that you're lacking vision, your eyes are truly shut. Wake up and smell the roses Atticus. They're dying."

My voice lowered in volume , "if you think I can stand toe to toe with a darach using sacrificial energy, you're crazy."

"Perhaps," Deucalion stood up and got ready to leave, "but you can contribute much more than standing on the sideline and healing the damage that is done. Get rid of the damage in the first place and lead the alpha who needs it."

I knew exactly what he meant. There was more than two alpha's in town, there was one rising. Not through murder but through strength of character. I've even tried his new vegan plan.

I need to guide Scott, my history with Stiles isn't going to stop me from potentially saving his life.

I need to get involved. Enough is enough.