44. Decompression

"You're really brave," I told my cousin as we drove back from her apartment. "I'm proud of you Allison."

She weakly smiled towards me, if I was about to do what she was I wouldn't be smiling at anything. I doubt her, Scott or Stiles truly understand what is about to happen. What they were about to do was going to change their lives for the worst. I could warn them, but to what avail. Anything I say to them will be of no comfort. They wanted their parents back, Stiles and Allison only having one left.

They would do whatever it takes.

Arriving in the dimly lit vet surgery was solemn. It was almost poetic, as if it was our last little flicker of hope in the void of sorrow. If Deaton was hard-up for the electricity bill I'd pay it for him.

Lydia immediately went over to Allison and embraced her tightly, as if she was about to sacrifice her life. Whilst the redhead's face was screwed up in my cousin's arms, Allison remained head up and strong. Perhaps she needed to remain mentally strong, otherwise she may never get out of it.

I wanted to speak to Scott, if I were to be his potential emmissary, he might as well have my opinion.

"Listen up," I stated bluntly, "I don't care that you're working with Deucalion. You need to beat Jennifer first and foremost. Just remember, she is a druid. I know I am new to it all but there's one big downer to it all. Its not limitless, the cost for going too far is complete vulnerability. If you can make her use her reserves on Deucalion, she may be vulnerable enough to be beaten. Whatever you do, don't forget who you are out there."

Scott nodded and put his hand on my shoulder. Perhaps he understood what I was trying to say, maybe he already thought of it. I was pleased we were at least on the same page.

I walked over to Stiles and he hugged me in the same matter that Lydia hugged Allison, except the emotions were changed. Stiles wasn't showing much emotion, saving it for when things get really hard. On the other hand, I was concerned. I knew he had to do it, still didn't comfort me. If nothing else, I was proud of him and I was going to be there for him.

Deaton started explaining the ritual. Each to be surrogate sacrifices for their parents, thus giving power to the nemeton. Allowing each of them to see it. With this, finding where the missing parents are.

Each needed an item to link each with their potential sacrifice. I only really got emotional at the silver bullet Allison held up with pride. Chris was there when I got to make my silver bullet. For us Argents, it was a big deal. An initiation. Like how regular people get proud about finishing high school.

They stood by their tub, each needing their own person to bring them back. However, I was immediately stopped when I started walking over to my cousin.

"Atticus," Deaton said, "go with Stiles. Lydia will take Allison."

I followed orders. I didn't mind. Stiles' eyes were looking to find me next to the tub.

"Look at you being the hero of this story," I say softly to him as I approach.

He chuckles and responds, "look at you not being the villain of this one."

I punch him jokingly in the arm before he clutches him arm in pain, real or fake I'm not sure.

Stiles grasped onto my shoulder firmly and he dipped his toes into the ice bath laced with leaves and flowers. He shuddered with anticipation of the menacing cold and the doom of death laying in the bath. 

The doe eyed boy turned to me with watery eyes and a bit lip; I wished I could have done more than supply them with a gentle nod. 

"By the way...umm..." Stiles breathed out, lips turning blue from the cold, "if I don't make it back and you do, you should probably know something, Scott. Your dad's in town." 

All three shook in the metal tubs, waiting to be scarified into a world they had not know. Lydia, Issac and I turned to each other and rolled up our sleeves. We knew what we had to do, we had to be strong and trust the ones we love. 

I had never thought that drowning someone in water would be so difficult for me. When I felt Stiles struggle under the water, I couldn't help but cry a lone tear into the icy water. Part of me wished that it could protect him wherever his mind will be going, I hope that it brings him some kind of comfort. 

We stood there. We waited there. We needed them to come out with some answers for our sake.