38. Alternate and Direct

Bumping into Ethan whilst ordering his man crush flowers probably wasn't the best start to our conversation. The alpha looked angry, but strangely not at me. I'd assume it was some Deucalion order but it didn't seem like that. Frustration.

"I can get two bunches if you want?" I offered despite my anger towards him, but I knew my anger wasn't going to bring Boyd back. At least Danny could think of this guy as thoughtful.

"Why're you even talking to me?" He said as Scott and Stiles walked up the stairs and approached us, "I helped kill one of your friends. How do you know I'm not gonna kill another one?"

"Is he looking at me?" Stiles rhetorically asked confidently. "Are you threatening me? You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna break off an extra large branch of mountain ash, wrap it in wolfsbane, roll it in mistletoe and shove it up your freaking..." and gave a good hand signal for good measure.

To say I was incredibly attracted right now would be an understatement. Confident, strong and standing up to an alpha. Stiles is the one.

"Stiles okay," Scott patted his friends chest, "we get it."

"Go on," I jested, "it was just getting good."

"We're talking to you because I know you didn't want to kill Boyd last night. If something like that happened now, you wouldn't do it again."

Scott was attempting to level with Ethan but I was too interested in Stiles simmer of rage, like a pot waiting to overflow.

"You don't know what we owe them," Ethan whined, "especially Deucalion. We weren't like Kali and Ennis."

"What were you?"

"They were omegas," I added.

It was fairly obvious, betas were mainly pretty well treated in a pack. Him and his brothers were outsiders.

"In actual wolf packs omegas are the scape goat, the last to eat, the one who has to take the abuse from the rest of the packs."

"So you and your brother were like the bitches of the pack?" Stiles added passive aggressively.

"Something like that."

"So what happened?" Scott persisted. 

"They were killers. People talk about us as if we are monsters, and they're the ones who gave us that reputation. And our alpha was the worse of them."

I felt sick to my stomach. Killing for sport. The thrill of the hunt. What a waste of life.

"Why didn't you just fight back? Form voltron wolf you know, kick everyone's asses."

"They couldn't," I added.

"We didn't know how to control it back then," Ethan justified to himself more than us. 

"Deucalion taught you."

"And then we fought we took down the whole pack one by one, and by the time we got to our alpha he was begging for his life. We tore him apart, limb from limb."

"What about your emissary?" I asked.

"All of them are dead, apart from Deucalion's." 

"You mean Morrell?" Stiles questioned the alpha.

Ethan hunched forward clutching his chest. His eyes squinted and teared up. Naturally everyone checked if Ethan was okay, yet it wasn't his pain. It was Aiden.

Through the joys of wolf hearing Ethan and Scott ran to the locker room to break up whatever is happening. I enjoyed jogging next to Stiles, giving him a playful nudge and cracking a little smile at him. He goofily smiled at me as we ran again together into werewolf business.

Part of me wished I could have ran with stiles for longer. Yet, Cora's limp body on the floor required my attention immediately. She was seriously injured.

"Hey you can't do this!" Ethan protested at his twin.

"She came at me."

Ethan was appalled at his brother, "it doesn't matter. Kali gave Derek until the next full moon you can't touch him or her."

Aiden and Lydia exchanged glances at each other. One of regret and the other of disgust.

"Hey guys," Stiles interrupts, "I think she's pretty hurt. Atticus, help please!"

That's all I need to rush to Cora's side immediately attempting to heal her, yet the damage was extensive. Dangerous amounts even for a wolf. Stiles hand was reassuring resting on my lower back, I don't think he noticed. It was cute. Even Stiles comfort wasn't enough to make me feel better. Healing wolves are meant to be like a jump start for a car, give it a little juice to get it started and it can get going again. Cora's battery was completely flat and wasn't responding.

After the twins left, Stiles and I helped her up so she could clean her wounds in the mirror.

"She doesn't look okay," Lydia stated worry printed on her beautiful face.

Cora snapped, "I'll heal," before nearly collapsing again despite the boost I put in her, "I said I'm fine."

"Do you realise how suicidally crazy that was? What was you thinking going after them?" Stiles lectured the girl.

I didn't agree that now was the best time for it.

"I did it for Boyd," she cried, "none of you were doing anything."

"We're trying."

"And you're failing," Cora lashed out, "you're just a bunch of stupid teenagers runnning around thinking you can stop people from getting killed, but all you do is show up late. All you really do is find the bodies."

Cora walks off gingerly with conviction.

"She's definitely a Hale," I added.

I agreed to go with Stiles to take Cora back to Derek's, not that I needed much convincing to get some Stiles time. Even if it was to be a human battery.

Whilst we followed Cora, I grabbed Stiles' hand and looked at his reaction. He squeezed my hand with all his strength and we just both smiled, not letting go.