28. Stalemate

Life has this way of changing. From what you know to what you have. The passing of my mother tested me, yet here I am.

Living on my own however is different. I was used to isolation, that didn't bother me so much. Accountability for mess however, that was something I struggled with. Growing up I was so used to every little thing being perfect everywhere I go, especially with Gerard around. So to live in a place with no one to help make things perfect or to make it look nice, it was a challenge.

So, I decided to invite Allison round (after Issac left of course, didn't want him slicing him again). She of course didn't come alone, Lydia joined her for a morning trip. The two helped me sort the place out after Issac and I made a mess. Lydia mainly feeling her interior designer life, with her impeccable style.

We didn't have long to ponder before we had to leave for school.

When we arrived however, I spotted a pair of bolt cutters in Allison's boot and stabbed her with a look. Allison stabbed me straight back with her eyes whilst Lydia wasn't paying attention.

"Lydia, I can't drop you back. Me and Atticus have an errand to run after school."

This was news to me.

I went around my school day, pushing through in sciences. The day was normal until we got to the car ride to what errand Allison was going to have me run.

"Want to tell me what we are doing?" I chewed some gum whilst Allison drove to wherever she was going to.

Allison snapped back, "do you want to tell me whatever crazy shenanigans you've been up to?"

I couldn't help but be amused at her anger, "which ones?" A smile plastered on my face which ally cousin ignored.

The rubbing of rubber made me more uncomfortable than Allison's actions.

"Atticus! What the hell happened at the vet clinic? You passed out? Saved Issac? I know you work at the hospital but this doesn't sound like something from a medical textbook. If I don't get my answers, I'm going straight to my dad and hope he has them."

"Why don't we go to your dad and talk about you staying out of werewolf business?" I remarked as I saw us pulling up at the bank, "so much for staying out of it."

A point gaze told me everything I needed to know. Stalemate. I got her and she's got me.

We didn't talk much just acted, we both knew what we were there for. I helped her bolt cut the lock open and we went into the bank.

I tried my hardest not to cough, the dust drying my mouth. We stepped through the bank, every door, every corner. It seemed like a labyrinth with the amount of turns available in this place.

When I turned around the school guidance councillor had Allison against the wall and held her hand up at me.

Me and Allison break into the bank at night.
Allison and I are pushed against the wall by the student guidance councillor.

"Keep your mouth shut and listen close. You have no idea what you just stepped into, right now you got about 20 seconds to get your ass hidden."

"What're you doing?" I questioned the beautiful lady.

"Get yourselves in that storage closet and lock the door. Don't come out until you hear fighting."

"What fighting?"

The ladies presence was intense, she was stressed and mad, "you'll hear it, now go."

Allison and I comply with the ladies request.

I thought she could have easily exposed us, if something was going to happen tonight she was protecting us from it. I would assume it's something big with the heavy frown lines on her forehead.

As we turned to look at our surroundings and wondering what the smell was, I felt the life drain from my face whilst Allison cried.

It was Erica. Erica dead on the floor.

I help my cousin close whilst I thought about how much better the girl deserved than the life she had. I couldn't have done much for her, I wish I could. If I'd known Derek was going to approach her, I could've warned her. Maybe she wouldn't be dead right now.

But would she have listened?

All her immediate problems fixed, sounds like a great deal but at what price? The price that Erica paid. Her life.