17. Torture

Throughout my life, I've been out through unimaginable torture and torment. The scars on my slower back being my favourite souvenirs. However, high school detection was even less enjoyable than torture.

Not only am I sitting across from Erica was was having her claws over Stiles earlier today, but Jackson is here.
The Kanima. The murdering lizard.

Thought I may as well make brief conversation.

"How's life being hunted?" I asked the blonde, giving me a dirty look from across the table covered in marks. "Fun isn't it?".

Erica rolled her eyes at me. "Amazing. No more seizures. I couldn't be happier".

"That's a bold claim" I slouched back in my chair with my hands in my black denim jacket I was wearing. "Nothing would make you happier than being hunted my trained killers whilst you're hunting a supernatural murderer?".

Erica looked pissed. "I didn't want this baggage" she rasped out in a low whisper knowing there was supernaturals in the room who could hear this conversation. "We can't look as perfect as you! Before this, I was nobody. I had no one. No longer do I have seizures Atticus! People don't look at me in a bad way.

She took a minute to compose herself. She looked like she needed this, she needed to get it off her chest.

"Now they look at me and think I'm hot. I have Derek, Issac and Boyd" she faltered slightly. "This is more then I've ever had".

I didn't feel bad for Erica. Not in the slightest. I wish I could, however empathy is a trait I had stripped long ago.

"Can you hate me for wanting somewhere I belong?" Erica looked at me.

She looked like the same scared girl I saved on the rock wall.

"I'm not your therapist Erica. However let me give you a bit of life advice. I'm not going to judge you, as long as you accept responsibility for your choices" I chewed some more gum. "You have chosen to be a wolf. Unfortunately this is what comes with it".

"That day. When you saved me. Why?" Erica asked, unable to understand my motives.

"You were an innocent person who needed help".

Over came Scott and Stiles. They hammered on about Jackson and his parents death. Looking at files and reports on Erica's laptop. Finding that Jackson's parents died in a car crash whilst his mother was pregnant with him.

Time went on. The clocks little hands mocked me as it felt as if it ticked slower with each second. Mr Harris stood up and started to leave. Everyone was so naive as to think that meant they were going also.

He chuckled "you may go when you are done with the book shelving. Enjoy the rest of your evening". His smile was wicked as he left the library.

Whilst this may seem worse, I can proactively do something. The more I work the quicker I may leave this pit. The levels of dust on the shelves made cough.

It was all going relatively well. I was stacking books quickly. Each book I put on the shelf was one more I was closer to going home.

Well, that was until Jackson was set loose as his Kanima self. With the swiftness he possessed it wasn't long before he sliced Matt's neck the row over. Taking away all motor functions from below his neck.

He jumped to the next row. The row Erica and myself were in. He smashed light above before he came down and paralysed Erica in the process. She dropped lifeless on the floor helpless.

I got low and rushed over to side checking that she was still breathing and had a pulse. She was fine primarily but something was off about her. Perhaps a neurotoxin could do that to a person.

Crouched down in front of Erica in a protective stance, I mirrored somewhat the actions of Scott with Allison.

An ear splitting sound stabbed the ears of everyone present as Jackson scratched something on the board.

"Stay out of my way or I will kill all of you"

The message was loud and clear. Jackson didn't want any of us interfering with his plans, or was it his masters plans?

With that, Jackson rampaged off leaving us alone. Alone in a library that looked as if it had faced an earthquake. Lights off the ceilings, windows destroyed and books everywhere.

Oddly, Erica started moving next to me. When I turned it was apparent that she wasn't having an early recovery.

She was having a seizure.

"Atticus" she'd mumble out every so often.

Maybe she just recognised im the one who's helping her. Holding her up and keeping her safe. I was the one guarding her from the Kanima.

Scott and the pack came over. I didn't her much of what they said. I was too focused on Erica. This shouldn't be happening. Not as a wolf.

The plan was made for Scott and Stiles to take Erica over to the hospital. Although, Erica and her constant naming of "Derek" and "Atticus" soon changed the plan.

Stiles drove his car to Derek's hide out. On one condition. That I had to swear to Stiles.

That this location remains a secret from the rest of my family.

I agreed. Merely for the sake of Erica. She needed help right now, help that I couldn't give her.

Stiles drove and kept talking to Erica. I held her safely the whole way. Making sure she wasn't getting hurt. Me and Stiles shared concerned glances through the review mirror. We were both as concerned as the other.

"What is he doing here? You led an Argent here?" Derek yelled as I walked in with Erica in my arms and Stiles walking in front of me.

I scowled at the wolf before I shouted back.

"Erica needs your help now, we can settle this later". I demanded.

That's when Derek's attention shifted to Erica.

I informed Derek on the situation. The Kanima attack. The venom. The seizure. The lack of healing. It all seemed rather abnormal to me.

Derek proceeded to break the betas arm and make her bleed. The venom slowly leaving her body.

As she relaxed, she turned to Stiles.

"You make a good Batman Stiles"

Now that was enough to make all of this worth it.

After Erica showed signs of improvement, Derek motioned for me to go outside. I clenched my jaw and obliged.

"You know who it is" I stated, letting my boots scuff against the rough floor.
"Jackson". 
I looked at him in disbelief. "You just wanted Erica to confirm it". I shook my head in disapproval. "I hope what you think Erica went through was worth it. I won't tell my family we're your base is, for that you have my word."

I closed my eyes and walked toward him so we were a lot closer so he could see my eyes. I wanted him to know that I meant it.

"When I get my chance, and I will, I will kill you".