39. Twist of Fate

"Philosophers? Guardians?" Stiles questions Allison over the phone.

"So, must mean something like law enforcement," I add from the backseat.

"Stiles you must tell your dad. Tell him whatever you need but you got to get him to believe. Tell your dad warn him," Allison stressed.

"Okay, okay, okay I know!"

"What are you gonna do?" A weak Cora asked Stiles.

"I'm gonna tell him the truth and I'm going to need both of your help," Stiles concluded, changing direction to his house calling his dad about 'an emergency'.

I'm not sure who was in more pain. Cora who was impaled, Noah trying to understand his sons rambling or me trying to get over the cringe explanation. I'm glad I had Cora with me so I didn't have to suffer alone, even if I didn't really know her.

It was painful, uncoordinated and miserable. Stiles' father clearly not understanding any of it, instead of letting me explain, he felt the need to give a hyperactive response instead. Great one Stiles, great.

However, I did take the time to admire how nerdy Stiles room was. Comic books were littered everywhere. I would open one,but the horror of the pages being stuck together by an unknown substance? That would have been enough to actually scare me for the first time since I was a child.

Eventually, Stiles puts us out of our misery and asked Cora to shift. It's a lot easier to explain something he's seen than some crazy folklore from his sleep deprived son.

However when Cora stood up, she dropped unconscious onto the floor.

"Call an ambulance," Noah orders Stiles and I.

————————————————————————

"I honestly don't know, her heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen levels are fine. No signs of internal bleeding. Atticus I don't know," Melissa tells me referring to an unconscious Cora Hale. "Isn't any of your stuff working?" Melissa asked awkwardly.

"She's not responding to it very much, she is sucking it up like a black hole."

I step out of the room to call Derek, he needed to know. He needed to be here. I still don't like him, but his sister needed him.

I walked over to Stiles on the phone, only to hear Scott's voice through the speaker.

"It's not guardians, it's philosophers as in teachers."

"That makes sense Tara wasn't always a cop she used to teach middle school," Stiles concluded.

"Then the last one is gonna be a teacher," I said.

"Yeah but there's dozens of then Scott and they're all heading home."

"Not all of them," I intervene, "Danny is playing tonight. The memorial concert."

I stood with Melissa at the desk, going through Cora's charts and medical history. Trying to find something, anything which would give us a clue how to help her.

"Dad, more people are gonna die if you don't start listening to me," I heard Stiles pleading with his father.

"I am listening!" Noah roared at this son, "I have been listening!"

Whilst everyone's shocked and stared, I moved towards Stiles and he grabbed my arm for comfort and what I assumed was fear relief. I stood next to him for assurance.

"You just don't believe," Stiles sobbed softly. His emotion made me want to hold him.

"Mom would have believed me."

Noah stopped walking away and turned to look at Stiles with pain in his eyes.

However, his son didn't give him the satisfaction and turned away. As he walks he tightened his grip on my arm, I followed obediently.

The minute we turn the corner, Stiles collapsed onto my chest and ran rivers of tears down my black T-shirt. Instinctively, my arms went around his upper back with one hand in the back of his head. I stood there and played with his hair as he cried.

Melissa came to check on the tears but smiled at the scene she saw. Offering me a small smile and a nod before she left.

"Atticus."

I hummed in response.

"Promise you'll be there, and you'll listen when I need you."

I tilted his head up to look at me as I kissed him on the forehead sweetly.

"I'll be there even if you don't need me."

I will be there. I will protect him. I will love him.

I waited for Stiles in his car whilst he freshened up in the bathroom a little. I wanted to stay with him but he needed a moment. Once he got in, we drove to the school over the speed limit because Stiles felt rebellious against his father. As we drove whenever he had a hand free he would place it on my knee and give me a faint smile.

We arrived at the recital late standing at the back with Scott. I wave to Danny and he smiles before he starts to play. I feel bad for being late, but at least the flowers will be delivered to his house tomorrow morning.

Everything was somewhat normal, until nobody could find Lydia anywhere. Scott, Stiles and I all ran out of the hall and around the school. We ended up outside calling her name but to no avail.

This was until Scott suddenly bent over covering his ears in agony. Stiles and I reach down to check up on him, concerned for the wellbeing of our friend.

"Lydia"

Stiles and I again had to trail after Scott as he ran in the direction he heard Lydia. I could tell that Stiles was exhausted but he didn't want to look lesser than me.

By the time Stiles and I reached the door, Jennifer Blake the English teacher slammed the desk against the door.

It was her? She was the darach? But she got attacked by the birds she caused?

Stiles banged helplessly against the door when he noticed his father trapped in the room with her.

I hear a gunshot, moving from the handle to the little glass window I was now sharing with Stiles. Noah got her straight in the thigh.

Without a flinch she healed up completely as if nothing was there.

I can't do that, if only.

Stiles continued to plead by my side, begging me to get this door open. I don't know what he was going to do inside, if Scott couldn't out muscle her I don't know how he will.

Stiles watch helplessly as the darach wrenched a knife deep into the sheriff's upper chest. The poor teen banged at the door in an attempt to help but it was in vein.

I pushed the door open a little after some time and Noah cried out from pain. Stiles shaking.

Jennifer stand in front of Stiles' father smirking. Whilst she arrogantly did, I relieved him if he physical pain he was going through. He was still terrified, you didn't need to be smart to figure that out.

Jennifer fled with Noah, leaving a broken Stiles under my arm.