20. Departure

"It's not that bad we don't know" Chris pleads at Gerard and I, however more so to Gerard as he knew it was his final say.

Soullessly I interjected, "It's a bite from an alpha".

Chris seemed broken, he isn't taking this well for a seasoned hunter. "She's my wife, Allison's mother".

"And I'm the cold hearted patriarch holding his family to his commitments. We all have our roles. Just please don't expect me to play poison gang to your hamlet of a son. Not with a full moon coming".

The description was accurate. Cold hearted patriarch, perhaps missing two faced and manipulative but that's beside the point. Gerard's Shakespeare references will forever be my favourite thing about him.

"What about Allison?  how am I meant to get her through this? We just buried Kate". His empathy for his daughter pouring out. Chris was pitiful at this point. The big bad hunter.

Gerard came straight back "Tell me how long is long enough?" Gerard made the valid point. "Tell me when you think Allison will be emotionally prepared enough to stand the death of her mother".

Chris begged his father, "she can't lose her too".

"You're getting your tenses mixed up, your wife is already dead. That thing over there is a cocoon waiting to hatch". With that, Victoria Argents death warrant was signed.

I walked out of the guest room and began to make my way towards Allison's room, as if Lydia Martin was the siren calling me to her. Yet, at the top of the stairs I was greeted by Victoria.

Her general demeanour seemed warmer than usual. She no longer had to hold herself to the hunters standard. My auntie cupped my face with her hand, an odd showing of affection coming from her.

We both reached Allison's room, Lydia and Allison greeting Victoria and I.

I go in and help Lydia with her outfit, giving her the male perspective since Jackson was preoccupied. We went through her dresses, eventually agreeing on a few.

Allison at this time however was dismissing her mother, thinking she had all the time in the world.

"Allison. Go" I directed. "I can entertain Lydia for a moment".

Allison refused and Victoria seemed to want to allow her daughter to talk to her friend. Victoria believing that Allison won't forget later.

I pleaded Allison with my eyes. I don't know what Kate would have said if I had a chance to speak to her before her death.

After Allison dismissed this, I left the teenagers and asked Victoria if I could speak to her. Little did Allison know that this talk would be goodbye. 

"How do you feel? Are you in pain?" I asked Victoria as I sat on the bed.

She shook her head and faintly smiled. After this she came next to me.

"Atticus" she sighed. "Here's life in the perspective of a woman on death row. Take from this whatever you want."

This moment was intense.

"You've had this life drilled into you so much. Too much I'd argue" she thought as she spoke. "You need to feel again".

My eyes focused on her. I was now hanging off every word she said.

"Life is beautiful. It's a piece of art waiting to be admired but your whole life you've been forced to be the security guard. Allowing everyone else to admire the painting even if you're the one who got hurt." She looked somewhat guilty.

She continued "you cannot be the bouncer all of the time anymore. Whilst you've seen the art from the years you've spent around it, you've missed the best bits. Love. Joy. Connections. These are the things that make death bearable". She put her hand one my shoulder. "Let the emotion in. It's going to hurt, worse than any physical pain you could imagine. Only then do you truly have something to fight for. Not some family code which has just killed me."

With that she stood up and left me alone to get ready for Lydia's party.

————————————————————————

Lydia's party would never be the same after the talk. Whilst overall I was fine it was a lot to take in.

Go against my instinct, all I know.

However, I spent a lot of time with Lydia at the party. Not wanting to interact with a werewolf. The last thing I wanted to do was deal with that.

Instead I assisted Lydia in making her drink. Neither of us trying it, me because of the hangover I had and the fact that I was driving. I had no idea why Lydia wasn't, maybe she just wanted to remember it all.

When I had a moment alone, Stiles came up to me.

"Hey Atticus how're you?" He offered me a hug as he approached me. I hugged him tightly, enjoying the brief touch.

I sighed. "I'm fine. Nothing special" I answered, Stiles seeming somewhat tipsy. Hence why he had approached me. "Wolf drama got me feeling weird".

"You know what Atticus" Stiles spitefully said towards me. "Your drama is so low on my list of troubles right now. I got my father fired from his job and now he's so upset with me. So if you want to come to me with some real problems I'm all ears".

I looked at him in his eyes. Stiles was hurt but I wasn't one to offer sympathy tonight when another member of my family was going to die tonight.

I walked off. I went straight home.

At home I comforted a bellowing Chris. His tears making my bomber jacket shoulder wet from his tears. Allison is going to be in pieces.