twenty-two

Quickly getting up from the ground, Jungwon harshly grabbed a gun off the ground before shakily wiping his tears away. Guiltily looking down at his best friend whom he loved and trusted dearly, Jungwon felt his heart ache as his tears uncontrollably spilled out of his eyes. Clutching tightly onto Heeseung's gun, Jungwon traced his finger over the engraved initials on the deathly weapon.

His remorse and sadness soon shifted into pure fury towards Choi Beomgyu. His hands trembled from the sheer anger running through his veins as he glanced sharply at both Beomgyu and Yeonjun who climbed over the tall walls. Without warning, the young heir sprinted away from the agonising sight of his lifeless loves one.

His mind set on avenging Heeseung in the fairest and only way possible; by taking a life for a life.

CHOI MANOR

"You're really doing this huh? My married sister is finally running away from this godforsaken household," Soobin scoffed, feeling betrayed that Jihyun wasn't bringing him.

Placing her packed bags by her bed side, Jihyun raised a brow at Soobin before spreading her arms wide open to engulf her now, sobbing brother. Although she didn't want to leave her friends and Soobin, it only felt right for their sake.

"Soobin, I'll be back for you okay? Do you really think I'll leave you all alone in this chaos?" Jihyun pouted, bluffing her disappointment while she wiped her brother's tears away.

Fondling with the hem of his cardigan's sweater, Soobin nodded shamelessly as he regained his composure. Snarling down at his sister, who chose to write her own path instead of following their parents' desires. Jihyun chuckled at her brother's transparency before finally zipping up the last of her luggage. It was currently 7:03PM and Jungwon was due to arrive in 27 minutes.

However, their momentarily peace was disrupted by the sudden knocking on Jihyun's bedroom door. Raising a brow at her brother, the pair of siblings glanced at the door with confusion. The only ones who were home was the siblings themselves and Hueningkai. Turning the doorknob, Jihyun swung open her bedroom door only to come face-to-face with The Kang Brothers and her father, Mister Choi.

"Father, I thought you were at work?" Soobin asked, slightly flabbergasted by their sudden appearance.

"We ended early! Jihyun, Kang Yeosang over here has something to ask you," Mister Choi beamed happily as he shed some light for Yeosang.

Entering her room, Yeosang softly smiled at Jihyun before getting down on one knee. While Taehyun was busy squealing at the sight of the proposal, beside him was Soobin whose eyes grew as wide as saucers. Flustered at his sudden action, Jihyun stumbled a step back as she shook her head—deeming it a rejection although Yeosang had yet to propose.

"I'm sorry Yeosang, I just can't," Jihyun frowned as she glanced warily at her brother.

Heaving a sigh, Yeosang got up to his feet and nodded understandingly. Smiling at Jihyun, Yeosang gently lifted her left hand before placing a soft kiss on her ring finger.

"I anticipated this Ji and it's okay. They shouldn't have forced either of us," Yeosang uttered softly, only for Jihyun to hear.

Turning back with a heavy heart, Yeosang left the room without another word. Both Taehyun and Mister Choi looked at Jihyun with disappointment dawned upon their expressions. Taehyun bowed slightly before running after his brother, leaving the Chois to contemplate in silent tension.

"You're a disgrace Jihyun," Mister Choi uttered lowly.

Feeling his blood boil, Mister Choi snapped his attention towards Jihyun before slapping her across her right cheek. With brotherly instinct, Soobin immediately rushed to his sister's aid seeing that she was too shocked to even react.

"Father!" Soobin exclaimed angrily but was only smacked across his cheek as well.

"You're marrying Yeosang whether you both like it or not! Your mother and I, as well as Mister Kang have already signed the agreement! We knew something felt off since the beginning!" Mister Choi bellowed angrily as he looked down on his daughter.

"Dad, what happened to you?" Jihyun sniffled as she held her cheek, which was laced with pain.

Seeing red upon looking at Jihyun did Mister Choi notice the glimmer of gold in her pained eyes. His heart dropping at the sight as he stumbled back. Although he loved his daughter very much, he knew he failed to protect her from finding Yang Jungwon.

"The Yangs happened. Your wedding will be held this weekend," Mister Choi said through gritted teeth.

Slamming the mahogany door behind him, Jihyun was left to crumble down onto her knees in shock and hurt. With his arms wrapped around his sister protectively, Soobin could only let his sister cry into his chest. Their only light in this situation was Jungwon—it was already 7:45 yet his presence was absent.

"My love, where are you?" Jihyun tearfully thought to herself.

Unbeknownst to her that her soulmate had brought only despair upon himself.