Chapter 2

"Everyone's here so let's begin." Ivan grinned.

Karim and Ivan met up with Noor in the library to work on their group work.

"I am very surprised with your ability to speak such spectacular English. Most Russians I know do not speak proper English." Noor curved the corner of her lips.

"I'm pretty sure that those Russians are from American movies. And well English is not our language so we just learn it for our own personal reasons. It took me a long time with strong dedication to build up my English. But I was determined...

"His mother is British." Karim rolled his eyes.

Ivan blinked continuously in shock at him.

"I was trying to leave an impression with the princess, Karim." Ivan glared.

"You have indeed left an impression." Noor chuckled.

"Let us just get to work, boys." Noor teased as she opened up one of the books she had picked up from the shelf.

Ivan sniggered in disbelief.

"Hah! Boys?! Little miss princess Noor if you should know..."

Karim's phone began to ring cutting Ivan off.

He got the weird stare from people since phones were supposed to be off. He had forgotten. Sue him.

He checked the caller Id.

Marilyn.

His expression fell to a blank one. He hadn't heard from her in a year. She normally called to check up on Z but she had just stopped at one point and Karim was forced to think she was with Z. So why call now?
He wasn't going to pick at first but he decided against it. It could be an emergency.

Keep telling yourself that. You just want to hear about her.

"Excuse me." Karim said before getting up leaving a confused Ivan and Noor sitting alone.

He walked out of the library in quick strides. The call had ended by then but a few seconds later another call came through from her again. Karim answered it.

"Hello."

"You took your precious time to pick up, didn't you?"

"What do you want?"

Karim could tell she was taken aback from the way she didn't speak for a while.

"Grown a few horns and wings, haven't you?"

"Tell me why you called, Marilyn." Karim said to her dryly.

"Hmm. Why else would I call you? I want to speak to Zaira." She said with a bit of anger in her voice at Karim's obvious rudeness.

She wasn't with Marilyn then. Well it was a given. Marilyn was a drug dealer on the move every second. Z wouldn't be with her.
But it also seemed she didn't tell Marilyn of her plans.

"It's been a year, Marilyn. You haven't called in almost a year and now you decide to call to speak to Z?"

"I was busy. Your aunt and uncle are on my trail so I had to stay low."

"You're still free which means they aren't serious about getting you." Karim stated.

"I guess. But the people they work for are serious so I had to disappear for a while."

"I don't exactly have to explain myself to you. Just let me speak to Zaira."

Even Marilyn referred to her as Zaira. Something Karim had decided never to say ever in this life and hopefully the next.