Chapter 43

"Ali. It's been a while. I thought you'd stick with Karim forever." Zaira smirked mischievously.

Ali bowed politely. "Your highness. I had a short course to finish so I took some time off."

"That's nice. It seems like ages since you aided in my kidnapping and insinuated I was an evil witch."

Ali had no words to defend himself. Because he did help in kidnapping and might have said it quietly once...5 times she was an evil witch.
He just stood there with a cool look not breaking character.

"Leave him alone, Zaira. I'm trying to make him my friend and you're not helping. Neither is Aziz." Karim grumbled something under his breath.

"I'm jesting." Zaira smiled.
"He was looking out for you. I'm grateful."

"It's my job..." Ali's next work were caught in his throat when Karim jumped behind him wrapping a hand over his shoulder.

"He did it because he was my friend, aren't you?" Karim wriggled his brows.

Ali cleared his throat.
"Your highness. I mean no offense but once again, I'm your personal guard first and foremost."

"So you can be my friend when off duty?"

"I'm never off duty."

"You're no fun."

"Clearly you're not as cool as him Karim so he can't make you his friend. But Ali and I go way back." Zaira stated proudly.

"Way back? You met him a few months ago because of me." Karim glared.

"Well it counts as way back."

"No it doesn't. Does it, Ali?"

Both Karim and Zaira snapped their head to his direction.

"I think I'd like to be excused. I'd also like to point out that you have friends, your highness." Ali directed his attention to Karim.

"Well Nicky decided to be my brother-in-law. And Ivan? He's a million miles away and I haven't seen him since we left the Academy. So you're the only one I can be friends with."

Ali blinked.

"Well I have no friends at all."

"Marilyn is your friend."

"More of a big sister."

"Your flight leaves in 5 hours. I'll be waiting by the car." Ali broke of their petty arguing and quickly made himself scarce in the room without waiting to be excused. Aziz would kill him. But he didn't know how hard it was being Karim's personal guard alone and now with the former evil witch being an addition.

Aziz had it good. If the king was playing childish, the queen always stepped in. And besides since they were the highest authority of the land, if they wanted Aziz to be their friend, he would. But Ali knew Aziz wasn't just friends with the king because he asked but because he wanted to.

Karim seemed like a huge loner. Ali wouldn't mind being friends with him but Karim wasn't the king. That was the problem here. Ali received orders from the king. And his orders were to guard the crown prince. If necessary he'd give his opinion as a friend but his job came first.

Now he just needed to keep busy and wait for the future king and queen.

~

"I hate Aracruz!" Zaira groaned.

"Well, you decided to go there yourself. You could have stayed in Australia."

"Aracruz was random. Affordable and far. The perfect location for hiding."