Chapter 32

Karim finally let Zaira go and stood on his feet.

"Where's Maher?" He asked.

"By the fountain with Samia and the twins." Noor answered.

Karim walked by everyone without another word but stopped by Noor.

"I'm sorry you had to see this and hear what you heard. I'll explain everything later."

All Noor could do was nod as she listened to Karim's steps fade.

Zaira got up from the floor right after. She looked at everyone for a second before retreating back into her room.

Awkward.

"Is this a regular thing?" Noor asked out of the blue.

"It started quite recently."

"Why?"

"Trauma. It's his brain's way of trying to protect him from further pain...according to his doctor."

"Hmm. The pain got into his head. That says a lot."

~

"Karim stood from afar as Maher played with Samia and the twins.

Those two meant the world to him. They were everything to him. His whole world. And they weren't his.
Maher, he'd have to let go soon. Zayan would probably want to come and get him and Karim wouldn't be able to say no.
But Samia? He didn't care if her real father was a god of thunder. If he was the president of whatever country. Whomever the bastard was, he'd never get to take Samia from him. Samia was his and Shamsiya's. No one else's.

"Maher. Samia." Karim called out.

Both of their heads snapped to him.

"Let's go to the beach." Karim said out.

Samia waved at the twins as she dragged Maher along with her to Karim.

He took their little hands in his and walked with them towards the beach.

**

"Maher likes the water but he's afraid of it." Samia revealed.

"No. I'm not afraid." Maher frowned.

"Yes you are!" Samia teased.

"No, I'm not."

"It doesn't matter. I'm also afraid of stuff." Karim revealed.

"No, you're not!"Samia drawled and giggled.

"Grown ups are not afraid of anything. Especially you. Our daddy isn't afraid of anything, Maher. He's like a superhero."

Karim felt his heart break.
Samia would never need to know the truth but Maher would find out eventually. At least the little boy knew Karim wasn't his real father. So in any case only Karim would get hurt.

He didn't mind taking the pain alone. Maher was too young for that.

Karim smiled and picked Maher from the ground.

Samia stretched out her hands to him.
"Me too. Pick me too!"

"You're to old for that." Karim shrugged.

"Daddy!" Samia cried out with a pout.

"Fine."

Both kids were now in his arms.
Hopefully he didn't trip and fall in the sand.

"You know Maher, when your sis...when Samia" Karim corrected. "When Samia said that she'd share me with you I was happy about it. I was happy whenever you and Samia called me daddy. No matter how small it was. I just love you guys so much. "