Chapter 45

"Nothing." Zaira stepped out of the bathroom. She had a nonchalant face on but Karim could see right through her.

They'd been home for about a month already and Zaira kept checking regularly even though she hadn't missed her period.

"Here." Karim opened his arms for her.

"I'm so sorry!" She cried and run into his embrace.
Karim frowned.

"Why are you apologising? You have no control over this. If it happens it happens."

"But you wanted this so much. I wanted this even more." She added.

"It's just been over a month. I know you want this but I hate to see you do this to yourself everytime you take a test. I hate to see these tears because there's nothing I can do to take them away." Karim wiped her cheeks from the tear stains.

"If it makes you feel better we will go to the hospital together. Check to see if everything is alright?" Karim offered.

Zaira stepped back.

"What if they find something wrong with me?" She looked like she had already seen the results.

"What if they find something wrong with me." Karim looked at her carefully. "Whatever it is we can work through it together. Besides there are so many other ways we can have kids. We don't need to be traditional." Karim shrugged.

But maybe he shouldn't have suggested them to go to the hospital. As they say. Ignorance was bliss. But he'd stick with his choice no matter what.

~

As it turned out on the day they received their results, Karim had no problem. And as if Zaira jinxed it, the doctor believed the problem lied with Zaira.

Not a problem per say as the doctor put it. He had told them that she had fewer eggs than normal. But the doctor had looked confused when they told him they had only been trying for a month. He probably would have brushed them off if they were any other people. But he was the crown prince so it was definitely out of the question.

He hadn't even dwelled on the low eggs and explained how it took at most 6 months for even normal egg count women to conceive.

He did however say if they were in a rush she could opt for artificial insemination or IVF. He also said she could freeze her eggs for whenever she wanted to get pregnant.

Zaira had refused all the options for the time being but would try freezing an egg in a few months if nothing happened.

Now they were back home and Zaira was back to her usual self. She was still sad that they weren't getting pregnant because of her but she had decided it wasn't a death sentence. It's not like she couldn't get pregnant. She'd just have a harder time at it than normal and that was even in the worst case scenario.

"Will you be okay on your own?" Karim faced her in the living room before they climbed the stairs.

"Yes. Yes. Go. I know you have things to finish up with your dad. I'll be fine."

"Are you sure? My dad wouldn't mind."

"Yes. Go. I'm a big girl. It's just been a long day but I'll be fine after a shower and some rest."

"You promise you won't cry?"
He wasn't hesitating because she couldn't take care of herself. He just didn't want her sitting in the corner of their room in tears. It broke him more that he'd admit.

"Yes. Maybe a bit." Zaira smiled. Making Karim groan. " Zaira. "

"I won't cry, Karim. I promise. If I do it won't be because of this."