Chapter 36

"You're getting engaged next week?" Everyone blinked in confusion.

Naima, Tawfiq and Habiba were more than confused. Wasn't the plan to get Karim and Zaira together? Or did Karim realise he had a change of heart and was actually in love with Noor?

"Yes. If Nick and Habiba are fine with it we'd like to have a joint engagement."

"Well, I don't mind at all." Nick grinned.

"Thank you."

"What about your father? Your family?" Tawfiq asked Noor looking at her for a real explanation.

"I'll call them right after this."

"We were supposed to go see them first, Noor."

"My father will understand."

"No. He won't. Can I speak to you for a moment? Alone?" Tawfiq made his way up the stairs heading to his office knowing Noor was following behind him.

~

"What do you mean you proposed the idea?"

"I only did that because I knew he'd reject it."

Lie. You wanted to give yourself a chance in this twisted game.
Noor ignored the voice.

"But he didn't."

"He did. He downright told me he couldn't get engaged in a week. But then I lied that I was getting the recordings of the amusement park from the owner and he flipped. I honestly thought he'd come clean but he took another route."

"What happens now? What happens if the engagement falls through? You're fine with it?"

"I'll find a way to fix the problem. I don't know how yet, but I will."

"To be clear, I don't have a problem if you two are willing to get married and trying to work out. Maybe our plan wasn't necessary and Karim was just a bit shaky. He'll probably sign the papers before the day."

Doesn't that make you happy, little Noor?

Why was it so loud these days?

Noor smiled.

"Maybe."

~

Karim rubbed his face roughly. What had he done? What was he even thinking? A week was just too soon. He wasn't even ready.

What was he going to tell Zaira?

What?
Do you need her permission to get engaged?

Karim shook his head. He needed to see Zaira. He had to find a way to speak with her so he'd find a way to sign the damn papers.

Is that really the reason?

How was he going to do that? What if Noor found out? What was he even doing. He paced around his room thinking of what to do next.

He was so screwed.

~

"Get out of my head, Noor." Zaira groaned in displeasure.

Her mind was constantly swirling with Noor's words.
Why did she even care?

She heard a knock on the door and Maher's voice.
"Mommy."

Zaira quickly made it to the door and opened it up for him.

"Maher." Zaira picked him up and embraced him tightly.

"Me too. Me too!" Samia shouted from the door.

Zaira should have guessed they came together.

She put Maher down and picked up Samia who was a bit heavier but still managed to embrace her tightly as well instantly putting her back on her feet before she broke her spine.