Chapter 1: Cruelty

The snow fell from the sky, and the sound of feet stepping on the snow with the heavy panting from the boy who carried the bleeding girl on his back. The person behind them was a girl who carried the sword on her waist, following them with soft panting.

"How? How did this happen?"

You helped to support Tanjiro as he stumbled a little from the weight of Nezuko.

"Nezuko, don't die! Don't die on me! We'll gonna save you no matter what! We won't let you die! I swear your big brother and (Y/N) will save you no matter what!"

The three went through the strong cold breeze as they headed to the town among the trees.

.

.

.

After the charcoal was filled inside the basket, Tanjiro picked it up and put it on his back.

"Tanjiro?" Tanjiro turned his gaze to the house as his mother, Kie Kamado came out. "Your face is covered in soot. Come over here."

Tanjiro approached his mother before she kneeled to his height and used the towel to wipe the dirt out of Tanjiro's cheek. "It's dangerous with all this snow. You don't have to go, you know."

"Well, I want everyone to eat their fill on New Year's, so I'm gonna sell as much charcoal as I can."

Kie smiled warmly at her son's selflessness for the family. "Thank you."

"Ni-chan!" Kie and Tanjiro turned their heads as Shigeru and Hanako rushed to the two. "You are going to town again today?" Shigeru asked before Hanako asked him as well.

"I'm going with you!"

Takeo peeked from the wall with his face shocked.

Kie stood up before she explained to her children. "Oh no, you're not. You know you can't walk fast like Tanjiro."

"Mom!" Shigeru whined as Kie walked towards him.

"You may not. Since he can't use the cart today, he won't be able to give you a ride when you're tired."

Hanako and Shigeru pouted before Shigeru rushed and hugged Tanjiro's waist. "Ni-chan!"

Hanako approached him and whined at him. "I wanna come with you! I promise I'll help you!"

Tanjiro rested his hand on top of her head. "Thanks, Hanako. But you're staying home today." Hanako whimpered in disappointment. He kneeled and patted Shigeru's cheek. "You too, Shigeru. I'll get you lots of tasty stuff, okay?"

"For real?" Shigeru gasped excitedly.

"Yeah." He then turned to Hanako and stroked her hair. "And Hanako, I'll read you a book when I get back."

She smiled widely as she responded. "Okay!"

"That's a good girl."

"Thank you so much, Tanjiro." Kie said as Tanjiro stood up.

"Sure. All right, I'll be heading out now. Takeo." Everyone turned to Takeo who held the ax on his shoulder. "Could you go chop some wood? Don't overwork yourself, though."

"I mean, sure, but..." He turned away as he mumbled with a pout face. "I thought we'd do it together."

Tanjiro approached him and patted his head. "There, there."

Takeo quickly flicked away as he yelled blushing. "What are you doing all of a sudden?!"

"Take's all red!" Shigeru sarcastically said with his hand pointed at him.