Chapter 13: Something More Important Than Life

You stared at the demon as he shifted the room, you quickly stabilized yourself on your feet as you tried to find a chance to approach him.

"I can do it! I know I can do it! I have this unique body to defeat demons! No... this body or not... no matter what..." You hopped and landed on the ground. "I can do it! I can fight!"

You twirled in the air as Kyogai flipped the room upside down, he then sent another attack to you. "Show him how unstoppable you are! Hybrid or not!" You quickly dashed but gravity suddenly pulled you back away from the demon, you quickly grabbed the lantern in time.

"It's no good! Nothing's changed at all! I can't keep talking to myself if nothing works! Use your head, not just encouraging words!"

Your senses alerted you as you looked up to the claw coming towards you. You quickly let go of the lantern, slid down on the ground, and stopped yourself by clawing at the floor. You looked down to see an abyss down below as the doors fell.

"That hole is dark and I can fall out of the room. That's a close one!"

"Damn! This is so annoying! I gotta consume some marechi! There's no time to lose!" The demon yelled before he flipped, making you quickly land your feet on the ground. You quickly dodged all the attacks before you decided to ask him.

"Hey! What's your name?!"

The demon was slightly confused before he answered you. "Kyogai!"

"Kyogai!" Your feet landed on the ground as you yelled back at him. "I'm not handing over Kiyoshi... the marechi to you! And I won't let you do anything to my friends! I'll never give up!"

Your words triggered something in Kyogai as he went silent.

"Just give it up, will you?"

"I'm going to get my hands on some marechi..." He raised his face, revealing his pupil and the number on his right eye. "And reclaimed my place among the Twelve Kizuki!"

He hit all the drums on his body, sending multiple attacks across the room, destroying the walls and doors and making the papers fly all over the room.

"Just give it up, will you?"

.

.

.

~Flashback~

"It's so boring!" Kyogai was kneeling to his master as he complained and scolded his work.

"Your writing is just so boring!" He then dropped the paper down to the ground, "Every last word is utter trash! No beauty, no fragility, no impact. Why don't you forget about writing? It's just a waste of paper and fountain pens! You never even step outside anymore these days. So no wonder you're so boring! You should just enjoy your hobby, playing the tsuzumi as long as you're shut in here. Not that you have the skills to teach that, either!"

Kyogai's eyes widened as he watched his master's foot stomp on the paper before he walked away. Kyogai's body shook in anger as his eyes suddenly turned red before he opened his shirt, revealing the tsuzumi on his navel and killing his master in the blink of an eye.

.

.

.

~Flashback~

"OUT OF MY SIGHT! YOU DAMN INSECT! Rapid Drumming!" Kyogai then rapidly hit all the drums his sweat dropped on the sides of his face, and you felt yourself getting a headache from spinning in the air multiple times. You couldn't even land on the ground anymore.