Chapter 6: Swordsman Accompany a Demon

When your uniforms arrived at Urokodaki's cabin, you were excited to wear them. You went to change inside Nezuko's room as Tanjiro changed outside, she turned around and rolled over on the ground with a blanket covering her body.

You tied your hair in a ponytail before trying your new outfit on. You noticed the color of your uniform was different from Tanjiro's. While Tanjiro's gakuran jacket was dark brown, yours were Ultra Pure white along with buttons on your jacket, the belts, and chocho zubon pants that reached your snowflake socks in the same color. The lines on your collar and the left chest changed from normally white for all other slayers into black.

You put up your snowflake haori as you brushed the dirt off. You turned around as you whistled to Nezuko for her to turn around. "How do you think, Nezuko? Am I... not bad?" You asked with uncertainty, arms opened, gesturing to yourself.

Nezuko hummed loudly as she lifted two thumbs to you. You chuckled as you scratched your cheek and bent down to pat her head through the blanket. "Thanks, Nezuko." Nezuko hummed as she leaned towards your hand.

"Have you gotten changed, (Y/N)?" You heard Urokodaki calling from the outside. You opened the door and walked outside.

"I'm done, Urokodaki-san." You turned to Tanjiro and saw him in the uniform, he looked quite good with that.

Urokodaki nodded his head as he looked between you and Tanjiro. Nezuko crawled in the blanket to the door and lifted to see her brother in uniform.

"You're looking good, Tanjiro." You complimented him as you looked at him up and down, checking him.

"You look good as well, (Y/N). The color white suits you." You smiled as you rubbed the back of your head and a slight tint of pink on your cheeks.

You and Tanjiro went to sit on your knees opposite Urokodaki, listening to his instruction. "Now that you both are starting out with the Demon Slayer Corps, I'd like to explain a few things to you."

"Right."

"That Demon Slayer Corps outfit you're wearing right now... It's made of a special kind of fiber. The fabric is quite breathable, yet it repels moisture and won't burn easily. A low-level demon's talons or fangs couldn't even manage to tear that uniform."

"It's that strong?" Tanjiro gripped his uniform.

"But why my uniform is different?" You asked, pointing at your and Tanjiro's uniform.

"A Winter Breathing user needs to keep their body heat as reduced as possible. The black color absorbs the heat while the white reflects the heat away and absorbs the least heat." Urokodaki explained to you as you nodded your head in response.

"Also, that Nichirin Sword of yours..." He gestured to both of your swords laying on your side. "The color varies from owner to owner, and each hue has unique properties. But since not many people end up with black blades, little is known about them. So little, in fact, that--"

"So little is know that... What, Urokodaki-san?"

"Since so little is known about them, black blades are said to be wielded by swordsmen who'll never go far."

Tanjiro smiled slightly as he said, turning to Nezuko who stared at him back. "I don't know how I'll do in the Demon Slayer Corps, but I'm going to turn Nezuko back into a human no matter what."

"Yes, you're right. I have faith that you're going to make that happen."

"Right." Tanjiro replied, nodding his head.

You saw Urokodaki pick up the wooden box with two white straps on the back and place it in front of you both. "It's a box for you to carry your sister in during the day. Built out of an extremely light wood called 'Cloud Mist Pine'. I coated it with rock lacquer to reinforce its exterior and to make it even more durable."