Chapter 4: Final Selection

"The reason I won... was because I learned to detect the scent of the opening thread."

A single thread was tied at the tip of Tanjiro's sword.

"When I'm battling someone, and I pick up this scent, then I can see the thread."

The thread suddenly went straight as it pinned to Sabito's mask.

"The thread is connected from my blade to my opponent's opening, growing taut the instant I see it."

He sprinted to Sabito and sliced his mask down.

"My blade is drawn toward it with great force, and then I slash the opening."

You cried out in happiness as you jumped and hugged him tightly, Tanjiro stumbled a bit as he dropped his sword down to the ground before he hugged you back, feeling happy to accomplish his goal.

You heard someone's feet approaching, you turned to see your teacher. Urokodaki watched the sliced boulder with a surprising aura.

"Urokodaki-san..."

Urokodaki went quiet before he spoke up with a saddened tone. "I had no intention of sending either of you to Final Selection." You both frowned sadly. "I didn't want to see children die anymore. I was sure you wouldn't be able to slice this boulder, but..."

You watched Urokodaki pat Tanjiro's head and praised him wholeheartedly. "Well done, my boy! Tanjiro, you're... a remarkable kid!" Tanjiro's tears slipped from his eyes. You patted his back, congratulating him as well.

"And (Y/N)..." You turned your head to Urokodaki as he patted your head with his other hand. "You had successfully mastered your father's breathing. I'm proud of you!" Your cheeks turned pink as you tried to hold your smile. Urokodaki pulled both of you for a group hug.

"Make sure you both come back alive from Final Selection. Both your sister and I will be waiting for you here."

You and Tanjiro wrapped your arms around your teacher, enjoying the warm feelings.

.

.

.

You and Tanjiro were waiting for Urokodaki to finish cooking meals, watching in awe. You had your long black hair loose as it went to the floor. "What's the occasion? There's so much."

"You both have completed all your training, so we're celebrating." Urokodaki poured the soup into both of the bowls before he handed one to you. "Don't be shy. Eat up."

"Thank you very much!" You replied as you carefully grabbed the bowl and enjoyed the meal. Tanjiro got another one from him as you both took joy in eating delicious food.

Urokodaki watched both of you eating as he thought in his mind. "Tanjiro, (Y/N), there's nothing more I can do for you two. From here on out, you both will be going through such hardship and strife. Your training will seem like nothing in comparison. So, for now, at least, you should rest well without a case in the world."

After finishing the meal, you insisted on helping Tanjiro cut his hair short. Urokodaki folded the cloud pattern haori for Tanjiro to wear tomorrow. "Hey, kids..."

"Yes?" You both asked.

"Did you two enjoy that hot pot?"

"Yes! I haven't had such a feast in so long!" Tanjiro answered.