Chapter 20: Pretend Family

Rui's head flew into the sky before it fell to the ground along with his body. Tanjiro's body became immobile and fell to the ground.

Nezuko's Blood Demon Art burnt the threads around you as you fell hard, head first to the ground, knocking you out.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!" Tanjiro shouted to you who wasn't moving an inch, he then noticed the threads around his sister got burnt as well. She stumbled a bit before she quickly came to his side.

"I-I won! I won!"

The vision of his father's dance came to his mind. "My father saved me! I'm not sure why I was able to unleash that attack with the kagura that's been in our family for generations. But that was what saved me! I was able to beat him!"

Tanjiro tried to get up with the help of Neuzuko, but his eyes turned blurry as he looked at your body far away from him. "Huh? I can't see (Y/N)!" He turned his head to look at Nezuko who hummed in worry but he couldn't see her either. "Neither is Nezuko! Is it because I took way too many breaths?"

He suddenly felt pain in his chest as he gripped it and his body shook violently. "This ringing in my ears is brutal! My whole body is throbbing with pain!"

"Hmmph, Hmmph!" Nezuko hummed in concern as she watched her brother try to force himself, crawling toward you with his broken sword.

"I gotta... heal up fast! I'm still not done fighting! I gotta go save Inosuke and (Y/N)! Right away!"

The siblings suddenly sensed something weird, Tanjiro caught a scent of blood that was supposed to be gone. Nezuko started to growl as she turned her head around.

"The scent of blood just got stronger! Come to think of it, it didn't give off the smell of ash. Don't tell me..."

Nezuko roared as she saw Rui's body without a head coming toward her and Tanjiro.

"Even though I chopped off his head?!"

Rui's hand pulled the threads as his decapitated head came down. "You thought you'd defeated me? Poor kid. Did your pathetic delusion bring you joy? I cut off my head myself with my own threads... before you could chop it off."

Nezuko stood in front of Tanjiro's body as she glared at Rui. Tanjiro looked behind as he tried to stand up and protect his sister. "Enough. I'll kill both you and your sister. I haven't been this enraged in a long time."

"Get up! Get up right now! Get your breathing under control! Hurry up! Right now!" Tanjiro repeated in his head as he placed his hands on his knee, forcing himself to stand up but he soon fell face-first to the ground because his knees were too weak.

"But I wonder why you and Nee-chan're not burning up." Rui placed his head full with veins back to his neck and it connected immediately. "It was only me and my threads that caught fire, right? I don't know if it's your sister's power, but thanks for getting me super-annoyed."

Rui pulled the red threads out of his finger coated with blood.