Chapter 1

It was late in the evening. The snow was blazing outside, but in the library, the hearth was burning. On the couch lay Thranduil reading a book and not listening to his father's question to sit up. King Oropher was sitting in his normal chair.

"Thranduil, can you please sit up straight?" King Oropher asked.

"I'm sorry, ada, but I am pretty comfortable," Thranduil said looking up from his book with the biggest smile Oropher had ever seen. They both turned their concentration back to their books, both with a smirk playing around their lips.

Apart from th cracking sound of the fire, there was no sound to be heard. All of a sudden, Thranduil heard a sound in the distance. It was growing louder and louder. Just then, Thranduil realised they were screams. Screams of pain and agony. He looked to his father who didn't seem to be bother by such a sound.

"Father, don't you hear that scream?" he asked. King Oropher looked up in confusion.

"It is totally silent, my son. What scream are you talking about?" his father asked back.

"I think I'm just tired. Good night, ada."

"Good night, son."

But instead of going to his room, Thranduil ran to the stables, mounted his elk (under the confused look of a servant) and followed the sound. When he just started his journey, the screaming stopped. Then he heard something else.

"If you will have to choose between me or him, choose him," a beautiful, weak, female voice said, The words repeated themselves and Thranduil was now following this new sound.