Chapter 20

The company arrived at Erebor. The mountain looked like it was very mighty and Daenerys could feel her father had once been here. She wanted to grab her ring and say something to Viserys, but she was reminded that she lost it. Even from outside, she could detect the presence of a dragon.

'I don't know what to do. Elves are scared of dragons and Legolas should go home, and tell his father I am fine,' she turned to Legolas.

"Would it be a plan you go back to Mirkwood? The dragon won't be such a big problem," she said.

"If you say so, my queen," he said with a smirk. Daenerys hit him lightly and Legolas started to walk away. He looked around and saw Daenerys, Bilbo and the dwarves entering the mountain. He smiled at the height-difference and mounted his horse.

Inside, Daenerys started to look for Smaug right away. Her hand was around her sword, so she would be able to protect the rest of the party. She got this sword from Viserys when she married. It was called an everything-killer. It was so strong, it could even cut through dragon scales and it was said it could kill everything. The power that was inside this sword, scared Daenerys. She hoped she would never have to use it, but now she had to.

All of a sudden, the ground began to tremble and a deep voice screamed: "Who disturbs my slumber?"

Daenerys made herself ready and screamed: "In the name of House Targaryen, I command you to either leave this mountain or die." It was quiet for some time. Then from beneath the gold, Smaug appeared. He looked at Daenerys.

"Mistress," he said. "Please forgive my behaviour, but I can't leave this mountain."

"Then you will have to die," Daenerys said calmly.

"Kill me, Dragonqueen, for I have disobeyed," the dragon said. Bilbo looked up at Daenerys and saw her hesitation.

"Very well, but I want you to die outside," she said, after which she turned around and walked out. Smaug followed her without complaining. Bilbo turned to the dwarves. Thorin was standing on a pile of gold, smiling. Bilbo saw the Gems of Lasgalen and put them in his jacket to bring them to the elvenking. Outside they heard a roar and a loud thud.

"The dragon is dead," Thorin said. They went outside and saw Daenerys standing there breathing heavily. Before someone could say something, she fell to the round, the upper part of her dress smudged in blood.

"Daenerys," Thorin cried out and ran to her. He picked up her body and brought it inside, not noticing the party that was standing at the foot of the hill.