Chapter 2

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while many people see you as heroes, there are some ...who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asks.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Ross activates a screen behind him and news footage from past Avengers and SHIELD matters flash on the screen as he speaks.

"New York." A Chitauri leviathan appeared on the screen followed by terrified citizens, a soldier firing a gun and The Hulk smashing into a building and sends a dust cloud to engulf the camera. Rhodey looks regretful as he glances behind him at Natasha. "Washington DC." The next clip was the three Insight helicarriers firing on each other, the destroyed Triskelion, a helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera. Sam looked down at this.

"You realise The Avengers were a response to the invasion, not the cause right? And the incident in Washington DC was 1. Not an Avengers incident and 2. the people involved were stopping a terrorist organisation that was in control of a Government agency. That incident saved millions of people! You're argument is already flimsy-"

"Peter." Steve says firmly to him. Peter closes his mouth. For now.

"Sokovia."Terrified citizens appeared on the screen, running for their lives. The clip showed the city rising and a building falling over. Wanda stares at the screen intently, as does Tony. Peter found this ridiculous and incredibly insensitive to show.

"Lagos." Ross continued. The screen showed the burning building, paramedics moving a body and a dead girl. Wanda is particularly affected by the footage from Lagos. Peter notices that Steve sees this and finally intervenes before Peter could.

"Okay. That's enough." He tells Ross who nods to an aide and the images disappear.

"For the past four years the Avengers have operated with unlimited power and no supervision. This is an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross places a thick document on the desk and passes it to Wanda. She picks it up, then slides it to Rhodey after he gestured that he wanted to give it a look, "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

Secretary Ross: Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Steve looks up and meets Ross's eyes.

"You mean a Demi-god not of this world? or a man who's always just wanted to be left alone and hasn't been seen since he helped stop Ultron? And the Hulk, a creature you helped to create Secretary Ross?" Ross turns to look at Peter as he glared at the man, "I've read up on you Ross. You're the one who rekindled 'Project Rebirth' and you tried to force Banner to be a weapon for the US government. Think about all the people you put in danger by hunting Bruce down after you made him a fugitive. You created the Abomination because you just had to have Banner."

"What is your point Mr. Parker? Peter still didn't like the fact that this guy knew who he really was but Steve and Tony both convinced him it was for the best that some other people knew. Peter knew now he should've stuck to his gut.