Chapter 2

"You get a reading on those tremors?" Nat asks Okoye.

"It was a mild subduction under the African plate." Okoye informs her.

"Do we have a visual? How are we handling it?" Okoye looks at her like it was obvious.

"Nat, it's an earthquake under the ocean. We handle it by not handling it." She tells Nat who nods her understanding before turning to Danvers.

"Carol, are we seeing you here next month?"

"Not likely."

"What, you gonna get another haircut?" Rocket comments, Nat sees the small smirk on Okoye's face.

"Listen fur-face, I'm covering a lot of territory. The things that are happening on Earth, are happening everywhere, on thousands of planets."

"All right, all right, that's a good point. That's a good point." Rocket murmurs to himself.

"So you might not see me for a long time." Danvers tells them.

"Alright. Uh, well. This channel is always active. So, if anything goes sideways... anyone's making trouble where they shouldn't... comes through me." They all agree before signing off leaving the call. Nat sighs exhausted and sits down, as she notices Rhodey still online.

"Where are you?" She asks.

"Mexico. The Federales found a room full of bodies. Looks like a bunch of cartel guys. Never even had the chance to get their guns off."

"It's probably a rival gang."

"Except it isn't." Nat realises where he's going with it. "It's definitely Barton. What he's done here, what he's been doing for the last few years... I mean, the scene that he left..." Nat starts to. slowly tear up as Rhodey talks. "I gotta tell you, there's a part of me that doesn't even want to find him." Nat tries to hold back the tears as she takes a bite of her sandwich.

"Will you find out where he's going next?"

"Nat..."

"Please." She insists.

"Okay." Rhodey says reluctantly before he cuts off, Nat starts to cry as she fails to hold back the tears.

"You know I'd offer to cook you dinner but you seem pretty miserable already." Steve says from out of nowhere, he leans on the bookshelf as Nat wipes off the tears off her face.

"You here to do your laundry?" She asks to attempt to move on from the fact she was crying.

"And to see a friend." He tells her.

"Clearly, your friend is fine." She tells him giving him a small smile and a look.

"You know I saw a pod of whales when I was coming up the bridge." Steve states as he plays with the keys in his hand.

"In the Hudson?"

"There's fewer ships, cleaner water."

"You know, if you're about to tell me to look on the bright side. Um... I'm about you to hit you in the head with a peanut butter sandwich" Nat says jokingly as she smiles, Steve returning the smile.

"Sorry. Force of habit." He says throwing his jacket on a nearby chair then taking a seat in one opposite Nat. "You know, I keep telling everybody they should move on and... grow. Some do. But not us." There was a hint of sadness in his voice.

"If I move on, who does this?" She asks.

"Maybe it doesn't need to be done."

"I used to have nothing. And then I got this. This job... this family. And I was... I was better because of it. And even though... they're gone... I'm still trying to be better."