Reckless - Chapter Four

Hey there, thanks for reading this far! Don’t forget to vote and comment if you like it! Much Love <3 

R E C K L E S S . . . 

CHAPTER FOUR-

 "Psst, Anne!" came a voice from behind me, speaking right in my ear and scaring me witless. 

I whipped round in my chair to face the person behind me, "What are you trying to do, kill me?" I angrily demanded, unsuccessfully trying to whisper it at him.

 Chris erupted into a fit of quiet laughter at my tone of voice, gripping onto the table for support with the silent laughter shaking through him. I didn't even see what was so funny, so I prepared to wait patiently till he finally stopped. 

"Miss. Forbes, eyes to the front of the class," hissed an austere voice from the front of the classroom we were in "Please remember that detentions are supposed to be served in silence by everybody and that, funnily enough, includes you." 

The way she said it made detention sound like a prison sentence. Then again, it probably was in some people's eyes. It definitely felt like it right now, with the time dragging on slowly and no way to escape from the room without getting twice as many detentions as a result.

I glowered at Chris before I turned back in my chair and faced the front of the room again. I was silently cursing Chris for distracting me from the fact that there were other people in the room and this was actually a detention. The teacher who was supervising the lunchtime detention looked sternly at me before sighing and looking back down at the marking she was doing, I watched the periwinkle blue glasses which had been perched on her nose slide slowly down it as she bent down further and studiously consulted a mark sheet.

Looking to the side, I saw Claire looking exasperated on the desk next to me. She turned her gaze away from me and started playing with her hair, twirling the fine blonde strands round her finger and staring off into the distance. 

We had spent the past half hour in silence, with only the interaction between Chris and I to break it, and it was slowly driving me mad. Being cooped up in a silent room wasn’t the kind of thing I was normally acquainted with; I normally spent my time surrounded by people and in the thick of the action. I could think of many things that I could have been saying to Claire, and even Chris, but I was unable to speak with the teacher snapping her head up at every sound.

I sighed and looked up at the clock on the wall. It was antique and the pendulum beneath it swung from side to side as slowly as it possibly could, as if mocking me. Its ticking was slower than I could have sworn it should be and there seemed to be an eternity between each click of the clock.

A rhythmic drumming of fingers on a table started up, and I looked around for the source. My eyes rested on a few seats in front of me where Darren was restlessly tapping the desk he was sat at as if he was drumming out a piece of fast paced music. I couldn’t see his face, but the back of his head bobbed up and down as the tune played out. The sound stopped as he turned round to look behind me and wink at Chris, he turned quickly as the teacher coughed and resumed the tapping.

I looked at the clock which told me I had fifteen minutes to go till freedom. What I could have considered as a short space of time was bound to drag on in this room.

"Anne," whispered Chris from behind me.

Resisting the urge to turn round again, I kept my back to him and kept on staring determinately at the clock as if I were trying to burn a hole in it with sheer mind power.

"Annieee..." He sang tauntingly, trying to catch my attention by using the nickname I hated so much.

I stopped listening and started to take in the other people around me. Apart from Chris, Darren, Claire and I, there were about five other people in the room.