Reckless - Chapter Three

Hey there, thanks so much for looking at this story. Don't forget that you can press that orange vote button of eternal happiness if you like it! :)

R E C K L E S S . . .

CHAPTER THREE - 

I'd always hated Mondays; especially when the weather was cold, dark and miserable. On days like those everything just seemed that little bit more depressing.

It was just my luck that it was one of those days. A Monday, a cold and dismal Monday at that. It felt like we were in the middle of a swirling tempest, with thick layers of misty cloud pressed down upon us, releasing the torrential rain which pounded down relentlessly and without mercy on anyone or anything. The wind spiralled around, making the trees sway and give out eerie whistles. I was soaked to the bone as the freezing cold rain slammed into me powerfully.

"Why..." moaned Claire, who had to shout over the wind in order to be heard "Do we have to go out in this weather? It’s horrible..." 

We were struggling against the elements towards the History block which lay across the damp school field and what seemed an age away from the main building.

I nodded in agreement, "I hate this weather so much. Believe me, I'm moving to somewhere hot and sunny as soon as possible."

A particularly strong gust of wind knocked me several steps backwards and I grumbled "Scrap that, I'm just going anywhere but England. Anywhere could be better than this,"

"Sounds good to me!" Yelled Claire over the wind as we approached the small, crumbling building and ran quickly to the door, slipping and sliding through the mud in our earnestness. The wind caused our clothes to billow around us, making it hard to run and making us stumble dizzily back.

Finally we managed to throw open the door to the History block and scramble quickly in. As soon as the wind slammed the door we were plunged into the silence of the corridor, only interrupted by the now faint splattering of the rain on the windowpanes and the distant ticking of a clock. 

Claire looked around "I guess we're late,"

My gaze turned to the clock on the wall, which proclaimed we were 15 minutes late for the lesson. I cursed as I realized this, “We’re just a bit late...” I said sarcastically.

"I guess we should go to the lesson and get yelled at," Claire groaned mournfully, not wanting to go to the lesson one bit.

Our History teacher, Mr. Laurel, was notorious for handing out detentions, even if you were only a few seconds late for his lesson. I didn't want to consider what would happen to me and Claire when we turned up quarter of an hour late. 

"We're already late, might as well skip all of History," I ventured, not looking the least bit forward to facing Mr. Laurel. 

"But if we miss the entire lesson," Claire pointed out, "He'll definitely give us a worse punishment."

"Yes," I countered, crossing my arms to keep myself from shivering in my wet uniform "But if we miss all of it then we won't be there for him to give us detention. So I say we just skip History and go back to the dorm."

Claire paused as if considering what I had said, "We'll have to go all the way back after that!" She moaned, "I don't want to go outside again!"

"We're already drenched by that rain, so it shouldn't make much difference if we go out again right now. I mean, how soaked can you get?" I reasoned to her, "So I say we go back" 

She shrugged, looking out at the raging weather outside, sizing up the options. Finally she sighed and said, "I'm going to the lesson, maybe the weather will have died down by the time we go outside again."