Reckless - Chapter Twenty

I'm so incredibly sorry that I haven't updated sooner. I feel like a broken record repeating that chapter after chapter, but I'm far too much of a perfectionist and a procrastinator to churn out chapters like some people.

R E C K L E S S . . . 

CHAPTER TWENTY-

 “I can’t wait… to sit down…” Sam panted, moving bumpily along on her crutches down the driveway. We’d been dropped off at the end of the drive by Dr Philips in his blue, shiny car which didn’t impress me one bit. He’d insisted on taking us – or, more accurately, he’d insisted on taking Sam. “Why didn’t they give me a wheelchair or something?”

“No idea,” I told her, shrugging. I strode along next to her, unsuccessfully trying to take small steps and adapt to her slow pace. “Maybe because doctors are terrible people who like to see their patients suffer?”

 “Doctor Philips would never do that!”

I rolled my eyes. “Why? …because he’s just the most amazing, beautiful man ever?” I mimicked.

“Yes!” both Sam and Claire exclaimed.

“You two are terrible. He’s practically ten years older than you,” I told them. I reached the front door first and pressed the doorbell. It was late at night and everything had been locked – I was once again annoyed at how the hospital had insisted on keeping us in for such a ridiculously long time.

Claire and I had returned to the school for a day, but had insisted that we stay with Sam for the rest of the week. We’d managed to skive off a fair amount of lessons.

Sam caught me up. Claire seemed to be able to keep pace with Sam easily, and approached the door at her side. “Actually, he’s twenty-one, that’s only five years.”

“Still… it’s creepy.”

“You’ve got a one hundred and twelve year old vampire stalking you, Anne. To be honest, I think you win the prize for creepiest guy.”

“Not by choice,” I pointed out. “You actually choose to be around Doctor Philips.”

“He said to call him Jeremy…” Sam told me dreamily.

The door swung open before I could retaliate and we were faced by Miss Perry, the receptionist. “You girls are late,” she informed us crisply. “The hospital said you would get here at least an hour ago, I’ve been waiting for you to arrive.”

She was no less than thirty years old, with dense volumes of light brown hair and a tendency to wear dull coloured skirt suits which were way too formal for a job at an old school; the receptionist looked more likely to be going to an important board meeting rather than waiting for three teenagers to turn up at eleven o’clock in the evening.

 “Sorry, we got held up,” Claire apologised, busy helping Sam hobble up the three small steps that encircled the doorway.

I snorted. “Did we? I think that Jeremy just drove a bit more slowly so he could spend a little more time with Sam.”

Sam glared at me. “Do you think we could get inside? These crutches aren’t exactly comfortable and I want to get to our dorm sometime in the near future,” she said waspishly.

“It’s Jeremy’s fault that you’re late, not mine…” I murmured to Sam jokingly as we walked into the building.

“Shut up,” Sam and Claire snapped.

I rolled my eyes.

“I know that tomorrow’s Monday, but I expect you to all be at your lessons now you’re out of that hospital. I don’t even know how you two managed to skive off for a whole week when you had no apparent injuries,” drawled Miss Perry.