Reckless - Chapter Thirty-One

R E C K L E S S . . .

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Hunter was waiting for me as soon as I stepped into my dorm on Friday night, slumped on the tiny sofa as if he owned the place.

“What’s up?” I asked him, putting down my bag and jumping onto the sofa next to him. Sam and Claire were catching up on their controlled assessment for IT, so I was left alone for the night – something I was thankful for now, after the way that they’d obsessively talked about Hunter ever since the night they’d met him.

He took his time to answer, taking a swig from the bottle in his hand. I was only happy that he hadn’t dared light a cigarette up in the room; otherwise the smoke alarms would’ve been blaring out a shrill, unnatural noise that would in no way make me happy to see him. “Fancy another lesson?” he asked. “I have some spare time right now and I hear that you’re going out tonight.”

It takes a second for this to process. What was I doing tonight? “Oh shit,” I cursed as I finally remembered. “I completely forgot about George.”

“That’s his name, huh?”

“Yeah.”

Hunter took another swig of his drink. “You two dating?”

“What?” I dared to ask. “Are you jealous?”

He laughed at the idea. “Sorry to break it to you, sunshine, but you’re not exactly my cup of tea. For one thing you’ve got a crazy vampire stalker who will try to kill almost every guy you talk to, and for another I don’t actually like you all that much.”

 “The same goes for you,” I told him, snatching his drink away and taking a swig. It was one of those overly fizzy energy drinks, though it didn’t look like it’d had much effect on Hunter since he was still sprawled across the sofa, looking as if he wasn’t going to move anytime soon. “Well, except for the second part. I don’t think you have a crazy vampire stalker, unless there’s something you’re not telling me.”

“There’s a lot that I’m not telling you, sunshine. Don’t feel too left out – you’re going to have to get used to it.”

I raised an eyebrow. “And you think I’m telling you everything there is to know about me?”

“I don’t want to know everything there is about you. You’re just arrogant, reckless girl who’s got in the way of our assignment by making the vampire we’re tracking even more difficult to protect the people from.”

“I used to feel hurt when you said things like that, Hunter, but now all I feel is a sense of disappointment. You always come up with the same old insults time and time again. Haven’t you got anything new to try and hurt me with?”

“I’ve got a sword,” he said casually, taking the drink back from me.

I was sure I hadn’t heard him right. “A what?”

He shrugged nonchalantly. “A sword – well, a bokken, actually, if I’m going to be completely correct.”

“And that is…?”

“It’s a Japanese fighting sword that they normally use for training – but they’re made out of wood which makes them perfect weapons for us to fight vampires with.”

“So why haven’t I seen you use them before?”

“Decapitation’s messy. I prefer stakes.”

“Fair enough,” I said, shrugging. “Want to show me how to use one of those swords? Or are you just here for the company?”

“Don’t flatter yourself. I’m here for the comfy sofa.”