Reckless - Chapter Twenty-Eight

Don't forget to vote, comment and give me feedback... y'know, as I usually inanely ask. 

R E C K L E S S . . .

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

“Why isn’t he coming over?” whispered Claire, trying not to sound as scared as she looked. Her eyes were fixed on Chris in a look of absolute horror. I couldn’t remember the last time that Claire had properly seen him – had it been before I’d told her about the existence of vampires?

“I don’t know…” I said cautiously.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” demanded Sam. “You’re supposed to be the one who knows everything about vampires.”

“I have no idea about them!” I protested. “Do you think I’m an expert or something just because one’s decided to practically stalk me?”

“Well yes, I think that would be a good reason to learn as much as you can about the things.”

I glanced over at Chris again. He was still carelessly leaning against the door and, despite the fact that he was covered in shadow in his spot underneath the large doorway, I could see that half smile of his hovering tauntingly on his face. He made a beckoning motion at me and without much thought I slowly stood up, my eyes trained on him.

 “What are you doing?” hissed Sam.

“I’m going to find out what he wants,” I said casually, my eyes still fixed on his. Without looking I reached into my bag and took out my phone, throwing it in the direction of my friends. I felt like if I broke eye contact with Chris I would lose whatever strange game of Chris’s division I was a part of. I didn’t want to play it, but if I had to I would rather I win hands down. “If it looks like Chris is doing anything could you call Blake for me?

 “We don’t know what his number is,” Claire pointed out.

“It’s on my phone. Put it into your phones while you’re at it,” I told them. Chris looked impatient at the fact that I hadn’t immediately come running to him, but I wasn’t in the habit of giving him what he wanted. “So you’re going to call Blake if anything happens with Chris?” I clarified. “Nothing will probably happen, but just in case something does you should be prepared.”

 “Have fun,” the two said wryly.

I walked away from them and towards the vampire that was waiting for me.

“What are you doing here?” I demanded, stopping just at the bottom of the stairs that led up to the door. Though it made Chris tower over me from his position above me, I was more comfortable there. I needed to stay a sensible distance away from the vampire otherwise he’d probably leap on me, and I didn’t want to retreat into the shadows leave the warmth that the sunlight gave. “Don’t you have a small village of pitiful humans to murder or something?”

“Actually I did that yesterday,” Chris replied. I knew he wasn’t joking. I’d been told for a fact that the supernaturals sometimes went to small villages for their prey. The thought of that made me go cold. “And what’s with all this anger, Annie? Aren’t you glad to see me?”

 “Go away, Chris.”

“You don’t want me here?” he asked in mock sadness, frowning at me.

“No. As a matter of fact I don’t.”

“Why don’t you ever seem to appreciate me, Annie? I’m trying my hardest, you know,” Chris complained, a mocking lilt in his voice. He leant towards me out of the doorway, getting uncomfortably close even with the few metres space between us. “I thought we were friends.”