Chapter 30 - got a secret

Two weeks passed swiftly, and the arrangements for my family's new residence were completed. After settling in, they began adjusting to their unfamiliar surroundings. My mother, known for her kindness, managed to convince Leuca to hire her as a maid.

Now, in addition to being a mother, she took on the role of a maid to feel deserving of staying in the guest house. "Mom, really, it's okay," I reassured her.

"No, it's not. I've been tasked with laundry duty!" She insisted, attempting to enter the room as I relented.

Leuca was still getting dressed, raising an eyebrow at the intrusion. I attempted to intervene, but my mother persisted. "Oh, my apologies," she exclaimed.

"It's fine, that's why I said it's okay," Leuca responded, pulling on his dress shirt. "Usually, my room is tidied by noon, Ms. Hayes."

Embarrassed, my mother apologized profusely, turning red as a tomato before hastily exiting the room. Leuca chuckled while I scolded him, emphasizing that embarrassing my mother wasn't funny. "She just..."

"Shhh," Leuca silenced me, looking confused.

"Don't shush me, Mr. Vampire with super hearing," I teased, crossing my arms. However, his demeanor was serious, lacking any humor.

Suddenly, he rushed towards me, forcefully pinning me against the wall. "Are you cheating on me?" His anger was palpable, his eyes blazing with fury.

His actions frightened me, causing pain from the impact against the wall. "What? No, of course not!" I protested, but he pushed me back again.

"Don't lie to me! Fuck, Riley!" He released me, striking the wall beside me with his fist, effortlessly piercing through the concrete.

I was paralyzed with fear, not having seen him like this in a long time. Memories of a past incident flooded back, where he had restrained me after rejection, leaving me with bruises and using a whip. "What's happening to you?" I whispered. "How could I cheat? I'm always with you; you'd know if anyone else touched me."

He paced around, noticing my tears. "I hear another heartbeat," he admitted, his anger still evident. Now I made sure no fucking witch gave you anything or even touched you while magic was being used."

Shocked, I placed a hand on my stomach. "What?" I murmured, approaching him, desperate for him to calm down.

"Which human touched you?"

I took hold of his hands, urging him to pay attention. "Listen to me!" I gently pulled at his hand. "Just listen to my heartbeat." Meeting his gaze, I spoke deliberately, "I did not and will not ever cheat on you." He concentrated on my heartbeat, so I reiterated my words, repeating them until his eyes returned to their usual bright blue hue.

"Never." I pressed my forehead against his, reassuring him of my fidelity.

"How?" He whispered, pulling away from me. "How can you possibly be pregnant again?"

"Maybe I have special eggs?" I tried to lighten the mood with a giggle.

"This isn't funny, Riley! I already have my sister to look out for, my son, and you. I cannot handle more liabilities!"

His words hit me hard. "Liabilities, huh?" It was a low blow. Instead of retaliating, I chose to be the mature one. I slowly turned around, deciding to walk away before things escalated further.

"I didn't mean it like that!" He reached out for my hand, but I pulled it away, fighting the urge to slap him.

"No, just no."

"It's unnerving how calm you are," he muttered, almost to himself. "We need to discuss who could have betrayed me and figure out what to do about this."