Chapter 8 - Resolution

I was released after the night of being in the hospital for observation. I was nervous about going home and finding the ravage we had left behind.

Aria picked me up and was the one to drive me back home. My arm was in a cast so I wouldn't be able to drive myself. My ankle was in a sort brace so it had some extra support.

She helped me get up the stairs to my apartment and guided me in. I expected a big mess but found none, "oh, Riley..." Marley peeked around the corner and looked at the state I was in.

He immediately rushed to me and pulled me into a loving hug. I hugged him back with one arm, "I'm okay." I reassured him.

"Mommy..." I heard the softest and most vulnerable voice speak up.

I looked passed Marley to see Damian standing in the living room with the biggest fearful eyes and tears streaming down his cheeks. He already was hiccuping and apologizing furiously to me. I hated the sight of my child being so terrified and miserable. "Come here you." I opened my one arm for him to come to me so I could cuddle the hell out of him but he shook his head and took a step back.

He looked at Marley and then back at me before shaking his head again. Which made me glare at Marley, "what did you do to him?" I hissed as I grabbed the collar of his shirt, angry protective mother surfacing.

Marley just chuckled from my display, "I didn't touch him if that's what you think, I just strongly informed him of his actions."

I shoved him aside and stumbled towards Damian, I couldn't exactly kneel but I lowered myself slightly. "Mommy is okay."

He shook his head, "I... I'm not like him, mommy." He cried, "I don't want to be like him."

I know by now that Damian had snooped into my mind many times. Maybe unconsciously but I know he has. Or when I have had a bad dream he would know exactly why and who was the lead role in those dreams. His father.

Even though I had fallen in love with Leuca, he had given me enough trauma to live with. Just the thought of him searching for me could give me a panic attack. Just thinking about going back to that dehumanizing state would raise so much fear in me. I'm never going back to that.

I wiped away the tears that just flowed back to his cheeks, "you are not like him. You are caring, you are sweet, you are empathic and so much more that he isn't. You are nothing like your father, do you hear me, Damian?"

"You weren't thinking that when I..." He shook his head and couldn't even get the words out. I didn't hesitate to pull him into my arms finally. Which only made him sob harder.

I kissed the top of his head, "you are so strong, you will learn to control yourself. I know you will." I firmly believed he would and he felt that.

"I won't drink human blood anymore mommy, I don't want it." He exclaimed, which made me pull back.

I looked at Marley who shrugged and then back at my son. "What?"

He explained he didn't want to hurt me again, he swore to never drink human blood anymore. He had asked Marley who has explained the consequences of that but he was adamant about it. I asked Marley to explain.

"It is possible, " Marley started. "He would need to drink human blood to live. Maybe a blood sack a week would be enough to survive and he would drink animal blood to quench his thirst. He would weaken quite a bit obvious." He explained.

I saw Damian's resolve in his eyes, this wasn't something I could talk him out of. And this morning Marley already had bought three different kinds of blood for Damian to taste. Elk blood won, it was still terrible for Damian but that is just how strong his resolve was.