Chapter 7 - blinded thirst

"Would you like to order?" I asked one of the customers who had been looking at the menu for quite some time.

"Yeah, a salmon and cream cheese sandwich please." He was a vampire judging from the fangs as he smiled and handed the menu back to me.

"Sure, something you'd like to drink?" I asked.

"Just water."

I nodded and went back to the kitchen to relay the message. I walked in and noticed Wendy had already started on the sandwich while Damian was aiding her by giving her the ingredients she needed. "He already heard the order." She smiled at me.

I nodded at Damian and walked up to him to ruffle his black hair, "don't mess up my hair mommy!" He swatted my hands away and grumbled at me. He was almost three years old but looked like a human ten-year-old. He literally was growing within months and weeks even, it was absolutely mad. Even Marley thought it was extraordinary. Probably because of the blood that flows through him.

I giggled and instead pulled him into a hug, "how was school?" I hadn't seen him come in, so he must've sneaked in through the back door. Not even saying hi to his mother but instead, helping Wendy in the kitchen, of course.

The school was nearby and the first few times I had followed him to be sure he would be safe to walk a few blocks on his own. In this little town, everyone knew each other but sometimes travelers act out and I always will be concerned.

Even if he uses his speed he'd be here in maybe a minute. And I just trusted him to look out when crossing the road. He was quite independent but still a mother's boy because when I hug him he'll always hug me back.

He told me about his day which was good, he had learned a lot and he had shifted classes again. Humans and vampires were mixed though vampires learn much quicker so they move up much quicker. Every two months or so they move up a class. "So and found a cute girl already?" I teased him.

He furiously shook his head and got a bit of color to his cheek, "no! Girls are gross." He mumbled, "and stupid." Which made me raise my eyebrows at him and then he rephrased himself. "Except you, mommy."

I cooed at him and smiled, "well, unfortunately, you can't marry mommy and I would love to see you marry one day. Have a cute girl at your side, or boy doesn't matter which way you swing. Just someone who loves you for you and stays by your side forever and ever."

"But I want you to stay at my side forever and ever." He replied sadly.

Not this talk again, oh God. Wendy also noticed and shooed us to the back so we went distracted her during her lunch service.

Damian had a particular episode for weeks when he found out at school that humans don't nearly live as long as vampires. He then connected the dots that I'm human and he clearly isn't and so I'm going to die in maybe seventy years. If I'm lucky.

He literally didn't stop crying for hours and when he did stop, he would look at me and start crying again. This episode lasted three fucking weeks! And nothing I said could soothe him, I could just cuddle him.

I knelt on the ground so I was on eye level with him, "honey, we have had this talk so many times now. You know, the circle of life and all?" I talked softly and held his hands.

He looked down and again, very sad. He had given it a place but he still was very sad and conscious about my much shorter life down. "Then why is mine so broken? Why am I such a freak?"

"Wow, Damian Lucas Hayes. You are not a freak, " my hands grabbed his face and I realized he had grown so freaking much. But even so, he wasn't a freak. "You are outstanding and you will make a difference one day, I just know it. And maybe mommy won't be there to see it but I will always be right here." I poked his head and then placed my hand on his chest right over his heart. "And here."