Chapter 12 - smelly nerves

"You promise us to call?" Aria was crying and wasn't letting go of my hand. Jordan and Wendy were crying as well. Marley was trying to keep it together, but it was so obvious he was fighting back tears.

"I promise Aria! And we'll see each other next weekend for the camping trip anyway!" I tried to stay positive but I wouldn't dare to lie.

I was absolutely shitting myself.

I had to go back there.

Now it would be different, at least, Leuca promised but I'm sure it will be a big change for me again. Leuca had organized a mover for some of my junk as he called it but I insisted on taking it with me.

Damian now was hugging Wendy tightly and dare I see a tear rolling over his cheek.

"How long is this going to take?" Leuca groaned from the car while even honking at us.

Aria raised her middle finger at him and pulled me back into a hug. "God, I'm so going to miss you." She whispered.

"Thank you, Aria." I hugged her back tightly. "Thank you," I whispered.

She had shown me a different side of vampires. She had shown me that they were capable of compassion. And for that, I was forever thankful.

The same goes for Marley, "thank Mar." I whispered and he chuckled softly in my ear.

"We're truly going to miss you guys. It's going to be quiet in the restaurant." He didn't let me pull back and judging from the sniffling he was trying so hard to contain his emotions.

Next was Jordan who kept screaming in my ear, I gladly pulled back from his ugly crying. "Don't let any of them walk over you yeah?"

"Who do you think I am?" I winked at him and then went on to the last person.

"Ah, Wendy..." I enveloped her in a strong hug while she cried on my shoulder. "I truly am so grateful for all you have done to me, since the first time I walked into Gil's you showed me kindness. Thank you." My voice was muffled but she started crying louder so I think she got the message.

She pulled back and grabbed my cheeks so she could look at me properly. "You have grown so much Riley, I am so proud of you and I am sure your real mother would be too. I may have lost my daughter but you have filled the void in me, so please let me thank you for walking into Gil's that day." She hugged me again.

I felt so loved by them all and it was so hard to turn to the car and get in. But I had to now. Damian had gotten into the back and was waving goodbye already. "Keep your word, Lord Devonshire!" Wendy yelled and all Leuca did was hold up his hand to her.

As he drove reality kicked in and I couldn't help but let the tears flow freely from my eyes as I looked out of the window. I controlled my sobs but Leuca was on to me already.

He reached out and softly kneaded my leg, "it's alright love." He whispered and held my leg until I started to stop crying.

Strangely unlike while I drove here, there were multiple checkpoints to get into Leuca's territory. One was even for another territory in between Leuca's and Micha's. So I had crossed two borders?

I never bothered to find out before but I told Leuca I also drove through forest roads which he explained wouldn't all have checkpoints. I dodged many bullets escaping because at such a checkpoint they never would've just let me through.

We took a small break at a gas station in between for me, not for Leuca because he could drive for hours on end without losing focus. He didn't allow me to go to the bathroom alone, not safe in his territory for a human like me.