Chapter 23 - out of shape and friendship

Leuca pov

"I will do anything in my power to solve this matter Leuca, believe me, I will.", Althea replies fiercely.

She looked like herself again. Her magic had replenished and she was able to maintain her youthful appearance again. We had been discussing Lee's involvement in Riley's pregnancy.

I have to protect my family. Witches can be quite dangerous. "I don't doubt that Althea, but this all happened behind your back... Just imagine what else could be happening." I sighed, I just didn't know.

"I promise you, I will find out." She placed her hand upon mine. She wasn't lying she was going to try to solve this. "I'll go home today and I won't rest until I find out who betrayed me."

I hummed slowly. "Contact me when you find out anything."

We lunched together and our children and Riley also joined at the table. I didn't eat lunch, I just drank blood. I hated that it wasn't her blood though.

Damian only ate sweets so Anthony spoiled him with cranberry cheesecake. And afterward, it was time to say goodbye. May reluctantly shuffled after her mother and Althea's other daughter, Rayna was closely walking next to my son.

I saw Riley looking at me and begging me with her eyes to excuse her but that couldn't do, she should say goodbye to our guests. "Thank you for allowing our stay here, Leuca." Althea bowed slightly and extended her hand.

"Such ancient gestures." I chuckled and lightly grabbed her hand to place a quick kiss on it.

She also bowed to Riley, "Well my Lady, do take care of him."

Riley looked taken aback but nodded and thanked Althea for her stay and hoped she enjoyed it. It was at this moment Althea was about to turn and leave when her daughter, Rayna spoke up.

"Mother if I may." She waddled over to Riley and grabbed a hold of Riley's hand. She looked at Althea and back at Riley, "Please can I stay here, Lady Devonshire?" Her eyes were twinkling.

Riley stuttered and was taken aback which only made me laugh. "J-just Riley, dear... I don't know if you can stay?" She replied gently and carefully.

Althea huffed, "Why stay here child?"

Rayna turned to her, "I can learn a lot here Mother, and establish my bond with the Devonshires which is crucial for my future role as the coven leader. I promise I will study hard and train to improve my magical power." She spoke very determined and also made a good case.

I didn't quite know how she could learn more here than at her coven. "Please, mother?"

Althea looked at me which made me shrug, I didn't know either. She was holding in tightly onto Riley though.

"I think that would be a great idea," Riley intervened, "she can be great friends with Damian as well."

Damian groaned and whispered, "She just wants me to make a friend." Luckily no one else heard it. It did sound like Riley though. It made me laugh as his father.

Althea hummed and looked between us all, she eventually settled on Riley. "Then I'll trust she'll be in your care?" She paused, "I don't have many years left she needs to be ready to take over as a leader."

Riley nodded and looked at Rayna who simply nodded back at her. "I'll be good, I promise."

Riley agreed and told Althea she'd care for Rayna like she was her child. It was a promise I know she wouldn't break. God, don't tell me we now have an adopted witch.

"I guess it is safer here than at the coven currently. Fine, until I solve this matter she'll be in your care, Riley." Althea announced. "Rayna, I'll have someone send over your stuff..." She nodded once again and then walked towards the car.