Chapter 18 - going camping

"Camping! Camping! Camping!" Damian was chanting his excitement over and over again in the backseat of the car while we drove to the meeting point. I had discussed it with Aria. It was in Micah's territory so it was quite a long drive and Damian couldn't wait to see everyone again. I felt like that too though.

"There's nothing to be excited about sleeping in a tent," Leuca grumbled from the driving seat. He was being very cranky.

"Then you shouldn't have come, father!" Damian pouted from the backseat which made me turn around to look at him.

"He couldn't bear being away from us for the whole weekend. Isn't that cute?" I purposely heightened my voice to annoy Leuca further.

The vein from his forehead was almost popping which made me laugh even more. Damian too started to laugh. "I thought you were so busy with work and Christina didn't seem to enjoy you going away again why is that?" Damian leaned forwards, addressing his father.

Christina, Wyatt, and Jillian all tried to stop him, even this morning. Christina even went on her knees in front of him, begging him to take her along just as a safety precaution.

Leuca found her display displeasing and got angry with her thinking he can't protect himself well enough.

"She's too protective of me." Leuca simply answered. "The bond between us all is strong, she especially feels very responsible for my safety."

Damian hummed, "because she likes you?"

My head whipped to Leuca and I raised my eyebrows, she liked him? What?

Leuca smirked at me, "is that jealousy I smell?" He used this to taunt me. "She must be like that. It is her duty. Vampires like her clung to the thought of having a duty. A long life gets boring after all. It is also our mentality, to follow the strong, and reject the weak."

"So she just wants to protect you?"

Leuca hummed at Damian and our conversation ended there. The remaining of the drive was quiet as well but Damian got more excited by the minute. Even I couldn't contain it anymore.

When we arrived at the meeting point, they had already gathered there so Damian called out to them and immediately got out of the car. Leuca called Damian back but he didn't listen and stormed toward Aria.

Leuca had widened eyes and he seemed angry so I placed a hand on his, "he's just happy to see them again."

"He shouldn't just jump out! It can be dangerous!"

It made me smile, "it is fine here, no traffic. Which, if he is hit by a car he probably won't feel a thing. And the people here are safe. Don't be such a worrywart."

He grabbed my hand and placed a kiss on it. "I can't help but feel on edge."

"Maybe in your territory, you feel like you always have to show strength but here you don't. It's just us, have fun, and let loose for once." I opened the door and waited for Leuca to get out also before walking up to the others.

I saw Damian being smothered by Wendy and then Aria again as we arrived. They raised their eyebrows at Leuca, though I had informed them of his presence. "Okay well you met already but everyone, Leuca. Damian's father... He can seem broody and scary but he can be a softie once you get to know him."

I cautiously look between them as they made eye contact and thus I started introducing everyone again to Leuca. I had mentioned them all before but just to be sure...

It was so awkward.

Aria pulled me into a hug and started inspecting me while wondering if Leuca had hurt me. "Has he hurt you has he? Hit you?" She asked with her fake crying voice.