Chapter 9

Dante POV:

I looked down at Axel. He was beautiful in his white button-up shirt and black pants. He had brushed his hair back so that it was out of his face. He grabbed my hand and looked up at me. I could tell he was nervous. It had only been a few days and everything was kind of flying by. This relationship has moved fast but relationships in the mafia either move slow or fast, there was no in-between.

"Why are you worried?" he asked. He looked up at me like I had two heads. 

"Well... I'm about to meet your family after only being together for a few days... I'm worried they might not like me and it causes a fight with your family.”

"Don't worry," I said with a smile. We walked to my office. My mom was looking at the bookshelf while my father was sitting at my desk looking through the reports. He looked up when we walked in. He looked Axel over with a stern gaze. Axel approached him.

"Hello, my name is Axel Suzuki," he said as he held out his hand. My father looked at him in slight surprise before taking his hand.

"I'm Piero. So this is the one who caught his interest?" 

“Yes, sir,” I said. I noticed my mom sitting on the nearby couch. She jumped up and walked over to Axel. She looked him over and smiled down at him. She was just a few inches taller than him.

"Oh my, you are absolutely adorable. I'm Aida," my mom said as she held out her hand. He shook her hand and smiled. 

"It's a pleasure ma'am. Thank you.”

He had them on his side after a few minutes of the meeting. My father gave me a thumbs-up as my mom started asking him questions about what he does and how we met. Axel looked at me with a questioning gaze. I guess he was wondering if my mother knew. I shook my head. He quickly made up a story of how he met one of my workers at the diner he worked at and that Brandon hooked us up. It was very convincing for a story that he made up on the fly. My father looked impressed and was slightly panicked for a moment when she started asking questions. My mother is oblivious to what we do and my father wanted to keep it that way.

He was so full of surprises. He was good at acting and was quick on his feet. I knew he would make a great surgeon. 

"Aida why don't you take Axel here and bake in the kitchen?" my father suggested. She glowed with excitement.

"Oh I love baking," Axel said with a smile. He gave me a wink when my mother wasn't looking. My mother quickly took him to the kitchen. She didn't have many friends that shared her interests and many of the wives looked down on her because she was so sweet and gentle.

Once they had left the room I sat down across from my father. He sighed as he put the papers down on my desk.

"I like him. He's a smart kid and is quick on his feet. The issue is the replacement for the German contractor. Someone has been targeting our contractor so not many are willing to step up. I’m going to need you to visit Germany and select a loyal replacement," my father said with a sigh.

"I agree. Loyal is hard to find especially when the danger increases," I answered. He nodded.

"So, I heard the Shadows paid a visit," he said, his voice laced with curiosity. It’s difficult to get the upper Shadow’s attention. I nodded.

"Axel has also caught the attention of the leader of the Shadow Clan. Apparently, he saved his life after he was injured and bleeding," I said with a sigh. My father shook his head and chuckled.

"That kid is just full of surprises... Your mother fell in love the instant she saw him and the more I hear about him the more I can see why you decided to keep him around," my father said with a smile.

"Be careful, don't let Rino and Rico see him. They may try to take him from you. Your younger brothers are never satisfied with what they have and will always want what you possess," he said. I nodded and sighed.

"He doesn't belong to me, yet. I'm still earning his heart. I'll definitely be keeping him away from my brothers though. They'll take his kindness for something else and might hurt him," I said as I crossed my arms. Just the thought of it made my blood boil. I had already sacrificed a lot for those two idiots to make sure they had an easy life. Most of the scars I have came from saving them.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"Enter," my father said. Axel and Mom walked into the room with a plate full of cookies. Both were smiling and had flour on their shirts. They giggled when they saw us staring at them. I glanced at my father and noticed the love he looked at my mother with.

"You look at Axel like your father looks at me. You've already fallen in love haven't you Dante?" my mom asked as she poked my side with a smile. I looked away, trying to hide the heat in my cheeks. I glanced at Axel who was giggling. His freckled cheeks were flushed pink. I had to look away again as some not-safe-for-work thoughts entered my mind. My father cleared his throat and chuckled.

"So what did you two make?" my father asked as he looked down at the giant plate of assorted cookies.

"We made peanut butter cookies, sugar cookies, and chocolate chip cookies," they said as they bounced on their toes. My father chuckled. They both emitted innocence and just everything opposite of what my father and I are. We were death and greed while they were life and love.

"I like him, don't you lose this one, Dante.” My mom gave me a stern look. 

I smiled and walked toward Axel. I grabbed his chin and leaned down. I gave him a gentle peck on the forehead and looked at my mom. She blushed and giggled.

"I don't plan on it, Mom," I said with a chuckle. Axel gave me a playful glare and gentle push. My father laughed and shook his head. Even with all the people I've dated, I've never really been affectionate, but I can barely keep my hands to myself around Axel. I can't help but feel that if he's not within arm's reach he'll disappear.

The rest of the day was spent with them baking and my father and I discussed the candidates but it was certain I would have to do it in person. My parents left after that was settled. Axel and I went to our room.

Axel put on my shirt again as I wore nothing but sweat pants. I sat down on the bed and sighed.

"What's wrong?" Axel asked as he walked over to me. He stood in between my legs and gently grabbed my face. I looked up at him. His auburn brown hair was a mess and his eyes locked with mine.

"I leave for Germany in a few days," I said bluntly. He frowned before closing the distance between us.

"You'll come back, right?" he asked as he rested his arms on my shoulders. I nodded and looked up at him. He smiled down at me and took my breath away. His whole face lit up and dimples formed in his cute cheeks. I nodded.

"Then I'll be waiting for you.”

I smirked and grabbed his butt. I sat up straight as I pulled him flush against me. His face turned a nice shade of pink. He leaned down and our lips connected. The kiss was gentle and slow as I let him take the lead. It seemed like he sucked all the worry away with his sweet kisses. I was under his thumb as he kissed me harder and held me tightly. Our kisses became more desperate and needy as we clung to each other. I hesitantly pulled away to get a breath. He was panting softly and trembling slightly.

"Promise you'll be here when I get back," I said as I looked up at him with desperate eyes. He looked taken aback for a moment before smiling.

"I promise," he said before kissing me on the forehead.

"Let's get some sleep," I said. He nodded and hesitantly pulled away from me. I laid down on the bed and pulled him against me once he laid down. He relaxed under my touch and leaned into me.

"Good night sweet dreams," he said with a cute yawn.

"Good night sweet dreams my angel," I said before gently kissing his shoulder. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep in my arms. It took a while for sleep to finally take me as I still could shake my unease. I had what my dad called a sixth sense for danger, but there were so many possibilities this time around I couldn’t pinpoint where the danger would be. I hugged Axel a little tighter and focused on the feeling of having him in my arms.