Chapter 4

Dante POV:

I turned back around to speak to Axel but he was unconscious. He slowly slid before falling sideways. I thought he would have woken up but he slept through it. I barely managed to remain professional and not laugh. He was a bit different than what they had described him as and the pictures that were taken of him. He had definitely caught my attention and now I could only think of ways to keep him around. It's not often that oddities such as him cross my path.

I walked over to him and slipped his shoes off of his feet before setting them on the couch so that he was lying down. I took off my jacket and gently covered him up. I grabbed a small throw pillow and put it under his head. I paused to look down at him.

My jacket completely covered his body, only his feet stuck out. He looked so peaceful. His thick black eyelashes rested against his freckled cheeks. His auburn hair sticking up in random directions on the pillow. He had high cheekbones and an angled thin jaw that led to a small pointed chin. His lips were a light pink and formed a cute pout. Something in me stirred, the urge to protect was the most prevalent.

"Well let's just let him sleep for now. You all are dismissed," I said as I turned to my men. They were looking at Axel with worried expressions. They looked at me and bowed their heads before leaving the room. I looked back down at the sleeping angel and shook my head trying to clear my mind. But I found myself drawn to him and reaching out to touch him. I ran my fingers through his soft hair. It was like running my fingers through strands of silk.

He was so interesting. I could tell he was startled and wary of me but it wasn't fear. He didn't fear me like everyone around me and yet I could tell he knew what situation he was in. He knew that I'm dangerous and one wrong move could be the end of his life but it wasn't fear that fueled him but caution. 

"What a strange little puppy I've found," I said with a smile. 

Hesitantly I forced myself to walk over to my desk and started working on paperwork. I kept looking over at him while I worked.

He had walked up to me and smiled as if I was just a normal person. I hadn't had someone treat me in such a manner since high school. He was something special and I needed more information. I only knew what the enforcers knew, but I needed to know more. I sighed and turned back to my desk in my chair. I texted Toni, my information specialist.

Me: I want every bit of information you can get on Axel Suzuki.

Toni: Yes boss.

After about 3 hours I got the information. It was surprising, to say the least, and only made the small man even more intriguing. Changed name and the son of the cult leader. The most surprising part was the hospital records and the amount of them. Almost all of them were removed from normal hospital and police records. Someone was trying to cover this up but did a shitty job.

Slowly Axel began to stir, which caught my attention.

"No... No..." Axel spoke in his sleep. I looked over at him as he thrashed around.

"I'm sorry... No... Don't.. Don't do it... Dad... No!" he yelled before jolting up, my jacket falling onto the couch. He sat up and curled up into a small ball, hugging his knees to his chest.

"Calm down. He's not here. He doesn't know where you are... You're safe... It was just a nightmare... Just a memory," he whispered to himself as he rocked side to side. He bit the side of his hand and stared blankly at the floor as he rocked.

"Who is after you?" My voice sounded a lot angrier than I had intended. He jumped and looked around the room before focusing on me. His big blue eyes were blown wide with fear and panic. His breathing was erratic and tears had formed in the corners of his eyes. I was used to people looking at me like that, normally it made me happy, but it hurt for him to look at me like that. I had men watching him for a while now and he never failed to amuse me, but now that I’ve met him in person it was completely different.