Chapter 24

Dante POV:

I woke up first and looked down at Raven. He looked so peaceful this time around. I noticed that he had freckles as well but they were a lot lighter than Axel's and more spread out. I gently kissed his forehead and sighed. Last night was the first time he's had a nightmare since living here. It was the first time I had seen him so on guard and afraid. It was also the first time in at least fifteen years that someone pinned me.

He's strong but not invincible. His past was a mystery to me. I know that in our line of work our lives are filled with trauma, death, and often torture. I could only imagine what he had to experience growing up as an assassin.

Slowly he woke up and a pair of emerald eyes looked up at me. He smiled and winked at me.

"Good morning." His voice was raspy and deep.

"Morning," Axel piped up as moved so that he was laying literally on top of Raven. We chuckled at his antics. I wrapped my arms around them both and pulled them into a hug. I let them go.

"Well, I gotta get up. I have work I need to get done." I sighed. I didn't want to get up when Axel still had the day off but there was an issue with an enforcer that had disappeared.

Stefano was someone that was extremely loyal to the family and wouldn't just go no contact. Especially after I had assigned him to look into The Archangels of God. He had located their new "village" but went silent before he could give the exact coordinates. Either he had been caught or he was going no contact to not get caught.

I hoped it was the latter as Stefano was one of the few I trusted with my life. He had gone undercover and joined the cult a month ago. He managed to join the actual village in that amount of time and had been sending me information whenever he could.

I sighed. It would be almost impossible to implant another spy. There was a knock on the door that caught my attention.

"Come in."

Raven walked in with a serious look on his face.

"We caught sight of the bastard. He's in the state but vanished shortly after being spotted. I have a feeling he's planning on attacking soon, " Raven said with a sigh. I nodded.

"One of my men infiltrated their village and just went silent. I think we need to make a plan of attack soon."

He nodded.

"How did he get it? None of my Shadows were able to."

"He went in as a drug dealer that converted to the religion after selling them some."

He laughed and shook his head.

"Figures that would be how he got in. They all tried the normal covert route. Your man is quite innovative," Raven said. I nodded.

"But he's gone MIA and I don't know if he was caught or not."

His smile quickly faded and he sighed.

I had a lot of plans for the leader of this cult and I was ready to enact them. Most involved wrapping him limb from limb with my bare hands. Raven sat down across from me and crossed his legs.

"We need to move soon. I think Axel is already on par with the top-tier assassins in the Shadows. He's got winter break coming up next month and will be out for a week. We'll have to act in that time frame."

I really didn't want Axel to be a part of it.

"He doesn't hesitate at all. I think when we make a move we should take him with us," he said. I looked at him with wide eyes.