Chapter 1

TW: Mentions of DV and violence.

Axel POV:

I walked out of the diner after my shift ended. Exhaustion was evident in the dark circles under my eyes. I glanced at the starless sky and sighed. It was the one thing I missed from living in the middle of nowhere. I shuddered at the thought of being back in that compound. I shifted my bag on my shoulder and kept walking. I couldn’t help but think about how much my life had changed.

I was ignorant of the world when I first got out and moved in with a man I had started dating after only a day after meeting him. He was the first person I spoke to after escaping the cult. I should have known better. I should have recognized the red flags but I was so infatuated with him for showing me basic human kindness.

It’s been four years since we had started dating when I found out he had a wife and kids. He was living a double life, happily married with two kids while coming to me every few days or weekends. It was last week when I found out that I realized what I really meant to him. It took a few days to settle my feelings before I broke it off. He was not happy that his perfect double life act had been ruined and attacked me. I managed to call the police and he was quickly arrested. I was quite lucky as what would have normally taken them an hour took ten minutes. 

I was finally free from him but instead of feeling free I felt like the last bit of hope was sucked out of me. This feeling of being weak and helpless was suffocating. I hated it. I hated my life, myself, and all the people who make me suffer. But revenge was impossible and knowing Steven when he gets out he's either 1 going to try to smooth things over with me or 2 contact the cult. 

I was terrified at the thought of being in his hands again, but part of me was already coming to terms with the fact I was going to die and it was going to be a painful death. Death itself wasn't scary, but the torture that I would go through before I finally breathe my last breath was. 

I came out of my thoughts as I was getting close to my building. I looked to the alleyway next to my building and noticed a man clutching his side, his face contorted in pain. I pulled out my headphones and hesitated.

"How many people have I found in this alleyway hurt like this? Should I patch him up? How the fuck am I going to get his heavy ass up those stairs?" I thought as I looked him over.

Everything about him screamed that he was dangerous, but he didn't seem to be a part of this area's gangs as he wasn't wearing any of their colors. He was a large man, around 6'4" with a lean muscular build, and was wearing all black. He looked over at me and glared. I noticed blood was pouring between his fingertips. I ran over to him and crouched beside him.

"Get the fuck away from me," he growled. I flinched, but he would end up dead if I didn't act and that was something that I couldn't let happen. I've had to watch many people die and I couldn't do anything about it, but I can do something about him.

"Oh, shut it. Move your hand, let me see the damage.” I pretended to be unafraid as I tried to inspect the damage. He looked at me with confusion as I gently pulled his hand away from the wound and looked it over. It was a gunshot wound. I checked his back for an exit wound, which thankfully there was one.

"Let's get you to my apartment. It looks like it was a clean shot, but I need to see it under an actual light. Put your arm around my shoulders and we'll go there, okay?"

I took off my book bag and then my jacket and tied it around his waist where the bullet wound was. I put his arm around my shoulder. I helped him to his feet. He was a lot taller than me which made moving him hard. I'm only 5 feet tall and like 100 pounds. He did his best to work with me and let me lead him to my apartment.