Chapter 7

Dante POV:

I wanted to hear his voice calling out my name echoing off the walls, but I could tell he wasn’t ready for that yet. My presence alone was making him nervous after what had happed in his office. 

"I'll be in my office.” I could see his shoulders visibly relaxed. I had probably pushed a bit too fast too soon. I had reached a silent boundary he had set and I wouldn’t cross it until he asked me to.

Hesitantly, I turned and closed the door behind me. I headed to my office and got back to work. At first, it was hard for me to focus but I managed. It wasn't long before Axel rejoined me. He was wearing jeans and a black t-shirt. He paused for a moment before sitting on my lap. I rested my chin on his shoulder once again. It was nice being able to snuggle him as I worked, but it wasn’t something that could be done all the time. Time seemed to fly by and soon it was time for dinner. I led him to the dining room and sat down.

It was amusing to watch his eyes light up when the plates were brought out. I'm used to eating high-end food, but it's always amusing to watch someone who's never had this kind of luxury, experience it.

He looked apprehensive at first, as he did with the shopping. After the first bite, he started a little happy dance as he ate. I couldn't help but chuckle. He stopped and gave me a playful glare.

"What?" He asked after he swallowed his food.

"I've never witnessed an adult do a happy dance while eating.” I could barely contain my smile. It was just too cute. 

"I only do it when the food is especially good and for chicken nuggets," he answered before sticking his tongue out at me. I laughed.

God. When was the last time I laughed like this?

He noticed my demeanor change as I sighed.

"What's wrong?" He seemed slightly panicked. He must have thought he did something wrong.

"I never realized how closed off I had become... I hadn't laughed like that since I was a kid before I started taking part in the family business," I said quickly. I didn’t want him to think that he had done something wrong. If anything he’s done the exact opposite. 

"I like your laugh. I imagine you've heard it a thousand times already but you have an amazing smile," Axel said with a smile.

"You're right. I have heard it a thousand times with my fake smile... But this is one of the few times I've heard it with a genuine one," I answered. He frowned for a moment and put his fork down.

"I hate to turn this conversation serious but I have some questions.”

"What questions?" I asked.

"Umm... What are we?" He fidgeted with a napkin on the table.

"Hmm... What do you want us to be Angel?" He sighed and looked up at me giving me puppy dog eyes.

"Well... I... I don't really want to jump into relationships this fast... I mean it's only been a bit over a week since I broke up with my ex..."

He sighed and seemed hesitant to keep talking. I stayed quiet and waited for him to continue.

"But... You make me feel things I haven't felt before..." he said exasperated. I smiled.

"I do?" 

"You make me feel important and not like an afterthought… I feel safe and like my opinions matter..." He answered.

"Well, we don't have to label our relationship as of yet.”

"Though it will be hard to explain to my parents..." I added. He froze. He had forgotten all about my family. I chuckled. He glared at me and immediately looked away, trembling.