chapter 5.

"Hey mommy?" a tiny hand tugged on the sleeve of Sana's coat as she looked down at Sachi with a smile.

They were standing in the parking lot of Sachi's school with Miss Chou, the rest of the class and a few parents while they waited for the bus that was going to take them to the park. The kids have been learning about all of the different animals in class, and Miss Chou thought it would be nice to take them on a trip to the park to see just how many different animals they could spot.

Sachi had been bouncing off the walls with excitement about seeing the ducks for almost a week, so much so that Sana had bought her a pair of bright yellow ducky rain boots to wear.

"Yeah, sweetie?" she crouched down so that she could hear her better over the sea of excited 3-year-olds.

"Can I please sit with Katie on the bus? Her mommy isn't here."

"Of course you can, honey." Sana smiled.

Sachi thanked her with a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek before running off to go tell her friend the good news that they'd be sitting together.

The bus pulled up a few moments later and Sana helped both Sachi and Katie up the steps before making sure they were seated. It was almost comical seeing the two of them sitting together in the two large seats, they looked so tiny. She buckled their seat belts before turning around and realizing her mistake.

Each kid had a parent with them, apart from Katie, who was supposed to be sitting up front with Miss Chou.

"Crap." Sana muttered as she made her way up the aisle to the front of the bus where the blonde woman was currently counting heads to make sure everyone was accounted for. When she was satisfied that everyone was there, she turned to Sana.

"Sachi wanted to sit with Katie so it looks like I'll be sitting here." Sana told her, face completely expressionless.

"Oh! Great, that's awesome!" Tzuyu smiled enthusiastically, putting on her best teacher voice. "Window or aisle?"

"What?"

"Which seat would you like? Window or aisle?"

"Oh uh, whichever. Window I guess."

They settled down and buckled up as the driver started up the engine. The same seats that had made Sachi look tiny moments before suddenly seemed far too small, and the way Sana was pressing up against the other woman's side was nothing short of awkward.

The bus lurched to a start as both of them were jerked forward abruptly and Sana's hand shot out to steady herself. She hadn't realized she'd gripped on to the woman's forearm until she heard her clear her throat and Sana embarrassingly let it go.

"Sorry." she muttered.

"It's fine." Sana missed the way the blonde tried to suppress her smile.

To take her mind off the current embarrassment flowing through her, Sana pulled her phone out and began working through some of her emails. She had taken the morning off work to attend the field trip and she wanted to get through as many of them as possible so that she didn't have to stay ridiculously late later that evening to catch up.

"You know.." a voice cut through her focus barely 5 minutes later.

Sana turned to the woman beside her, fully intent on telling her that she really had to get this work done, until she began to speak.

".. Katie doesn't have many friends. I know I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but her mom works double shifts and her dad is in the army. She's a lot quieter than the other kids but Sachi always makes sure to include her." Tzuyu smiled. "She's a great kid."
"Mmm." Sana hummed in agreement. She wasn't sure what else to say, but her heart smiled at the revelation.