chapter 6.

Sana didn't sleep at all that night. Sachi threw up a few times, the first time in the bed, and Sana sat by her with one of the provided cardboard sick bowls, making sure she aimed for that instead of the bed the next time. The sheets were changed and Sana wrapped her up in the blanket that Nayeon had brought from home. Nurses were coming in and out every so often, checking Sachi's blood oxygen levels and making sure everything was alright.

It wasn't until the early hours of the morning that Sana noticed she seemed to be having a little trouble breathing. Her breath was coming out short and ragged, her little eyes filled with panic and Sana immediately hit the large button on the wall to call for the nurse.

He was there within a few seconds and Sana hurriedly explained what had happened as he began to check Sachi over. Sana watched, feeling beyond helpless, as he swiftly pulled an oxygen mask over her face once again and helped guide her breathing until she eventually settled and Sana lay back up on the bed beside her, worriedly stroking her hair as Sachi rested the side of her head on Sana's chest.

"Respiratory stress is extremely common in near-drowning victims." the nurse turned to Sana with a reassuring smile. "It typically develops a few hours after the incident, which is why we wanted to keep her overnight. We'll continue to monitor her blood oxygen levels, they should return to normal soon, and if there's anything else you need then please don't hesitate."

Sana thanked him before he left the room and she snuggled Sachi in a little closer. She had no idea what to say to help ease her worries and every part of Sana wished she could take her pain away, to transfer it to herself and fight the battle for her. She could feel Sachi getting worked up again, and Sana desperately tried to calm her before she ended up losing her breath yet again.

Sana pulled her blanket up around her a little more securely before she began humming softly, slowly working up to singing as she felt Sachi begin to relax against her.

"Your little hands wrapped around my finger,

And it's so quiet in the world tonight.

Your little eyelids flutter cause you're dreaming,

So I tuck you in and turn on your favorite nightlight."

She resumed stroking her hair as she continued, watching as her little eyes began to flutter closed.

To you, everything's funny,

You got nothing to regret.

I'd give all I have honey,

If you could stay like that.

Sana continued singing for a while, she was sure Sachi was asleep but she didn't want to risk waking her, just in case.

She thought back to the last time she'd been in this hospital, in the exact same position although with a significantly smaller Sachi. She vividly remembers seeing the clump of dark hair appear before her tiny, tiny baby emerged and was immediately put onto her chest. She didn't think she was capable of feeling emotions as powerful as the ones she'd felt during that moment, but Sachi continues to prove her wrong every single day.

She thought about how she'd stayed up for hours, just staring. Taking in every single inch of her baby's tiny features. Her thick dark curls, her teeny little button nose, the way her little hand wrapped so tightly around Sana's finger. She couldn't get enough of her.

"Oh, darling don't you ever grow up,

Just stay this little.

Oh, darling don't you ever grow up,