41 • Brother Mine (Part 3)

May 15th 2017: Prom
Sunny stood in front of the mirror attached to her bedroom wall and sighed. It was Prom night, in her opinion, probably the most overhyped event of high school. Still, she couldn't deny she was excited to go, as well as slightly nervous. She was dressed in a long black flowing dress, with lace on the torso embroidered with roses. She found the dress when she'd gone thrifting with Summer in Philly and felt like it was meant to be when it fit her perfectly. Still, she felt like there was something not quite right. She'd dyed her hair back to her natural strawberry blonde colour (much to her brother's relief) and had out natural beach waves it in, clipping one side slightly back to show off the many piercings in her right ear.

She looked critically at herself until she saw someone moving behind her. Her eyes caught her brother's girlfriend's in the mirror. "I know that look and don't worry about it, you look perfect." Spencer reassured, coming over and putting her hands gently on her boyfriend's sister's shoulders. "Thanks, Spence" Sunny said, smiling at her in the mirror.

Spencer had moved in with the Cavanaugh's as soon as she and Toby got back together 3 months ago. Although she had been a little worried about how the dynamic would work given how much Sunny had hated Toby's last girlfriend, she shouldn't have bothered. Sunny regarded Spencer on the same level as her brother, meaning if Spencer told her to do her homework, she did, if Spencer told her they were going out to dinner, she went and if Spencer decided what movie they were watching she would try not to roll her eyes too much.

All in all, the dynamic worked. Spencer and Toby were happier than ever, their second chance at their relationship was working well. They went to work during the day and Sunny tried to give them space a few nights a week so would stay at friend's houses so they could have some alone time.

They had truly fallen back in love with each other, although if they were honest, neither of them had ever fallen out.

"How you feeling?" Spencer asked and Sunny rolled her eyes. "Like I'm in a shitty teen Netflix high school rom-com." she answered and Spencer laughed. "What time's Ivy coming?" she asked. "7, so like-" Sunny looked at the clock on her wall. "15 minutes." she said.

"I can't believe you turned down Dan." Spencer said, referring to one of the SEVERAL boys who'd asked Sunny to prom. "Please- he just asked me cuz my brother's a cop and would let him off if he snuck alcohol in." Sunny scoffed and Spencer rolled her eyes. "Or he really likes you." she suggested, nudging Sunny gently.

Sunny raised her eyebrows, making eye contact with Spencer's reflection.
"I know you and Toby have the whole, rekindled high school lover thing going on but that's not really me, we only have a few more months then I'm going to college, I'm not gonna start something now." she explained. "Besides, I'm not in to him." she said. Spencer gently brushed her fingers through Sunny's waves.

"And are you into Ivy?" she asked.

Sunny shrugged. "A little." she answered and Spencer smiled. "Well you look incredible. You'll make the girl's eyes fall out of her head." she reassured.

Sunny smiled genuinely. "Remember when we did this with you?" she asked. "I was so excited to see you go to prom." she reminisced. She'd watched Spencer getting ready for a couple of hours, telling her she looked like a Princess and that she couldn't wait to go to prom. At the time it had seemed so long away and here she was, less than an hour from going herself. But still with the same person she'd been with all those years ago.

"Yep, 5 years ago. Weird, huh?" Spencer remembered. "I remember you told me that I looked better than a model and that I could date Harry Styles if I wanted." she said, laughing. That day had been one of her very favourite memories with Sunny, who'd been 12 at the time. She'd been with Toby over a year by that point and was so utterly at home in this loft and with them. It felt grown up but safe at the same time, like she was meant to be there. She'd got ready at the Cavanaughs, headed over to Aria's for some sneaky pre-drinks and pictures, then headed off to Prom. Sunny had been her hype woman the whole time she'd been getting ready and now she was returning the favour.