48 • I'll Be Home For Christmas

Spencer Cavanaugh smiled as her husband's face lit up her laptop screen.

"Hey beautiful." Toby said as soon as the call connected.

"Hi handsome, I miss you." Spencer answered.

"I miss you too, so much." came her husband's reply. Spencer sighed, trying not to let it show how much she wished she could be with him right now.

Spencer was stuck in Chicago. She'd gone for a 2 day conference on the 18th, thinking she'd be back for the 20th and still have 5 days before Christmas.

Now it was the 24th, and a horrific snow storm had left her stranded for the past 4 days. She had been left sitting in a hotel, waiting for a flight to finally take her back home. So far though, there had been absolutely no luck.

"How's the Princess?" she asked.

"So excited for Santa that I'm surprised her head hasn't exploded yet." Toby said dryly and Spencer laughed.

"I can't believe I'm missing it." she said sadly, letting her guard down. She didn't need to hide her feelings. Toby would be able to tell anyway.

"My love, there's always next year." Toby reminded her.

"I know, but we only have a few years of her believing and this is the first Christmas she can understand it. I just really wanted a Christmas with all the magic." Spencer told him.

"Spence, she's 3, she won't even remember in 2 weeks." her husband comforted her. "But I know it's disappointing. And trust me, we both miss you so much."

"Where is she?" Spencer asked.

"Watching Elf, I'll take you through." Toby said, walking through the beautiful house the couple called their home.

Toby had designed and built it himself, Spencer thad done the interior and together, it was the second best thing they'd ever made together, after Hope.

Toby walked into the living room where, on their enormous couch, sat a tiny pyjama-clad brunette.

"Baby girl, someone wants to talk to you." Toby said to his daughter.

"SANTA?" his daughter yelled and looked towards her dad.

Spencer and Toby both laughed. "My bad, totally set myself up there." Toby commented as he sat down next to his daughter.

"No love, Santa's coming tonight when you're sleeping, remember? This is your mommy." he said and Hope's head snapped up and she climbed over Toby to get a view of her mom.

"MOMMA!" Hope yelled and Spencer laughed. "Hi little one, are you being good for Daddy?" she asked and Hope nodded.

"When you coming home, Mommy?" Hope asked and Spencer smiled sadly. "It depends when the snow stops and I can get a plane back." she told her.

"Will you be back for Christmas?" Hope asked.

"Baby, I'm so sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to." Spencer said, her heart breaking as she watched her little girl's face fall.

"Mommy, is it too late to change what I asked Santa for?" Hope said.

Toby frowned, he'd had to go Christmas shopping with Spencer about a month ago. "I think he's already on his way, baby. What were you gonna ask for instead?" he asked Hope.

"I want him to bring Momma home." Hope said, snuggling into her dad.

"Aw honey, if Santa could, I know he would." Spencer told her. "I'll be home as soon as I can." she said.