2 • Promises

Dedicated to SpobySpobae for the prompt idea and always leaving such lovely comments.

She was so close to giving in.

So close to the temptation she'd be fighting for years.

She longed for the feeling of it going down her throat and it altering her body, her mind, her personality.

She touched the pill to her lips, she was so so close.

If she did this she'd be addicted again, no way out except through the very thing causing the problem.

Suddenly his words rang through her head.

"If you ever have the urge to take pills again, call me first?"

"I'm done with that."

"Just promise me."

"I promise."

She remembered they sealed their promise with a kiss.

She couldn't lie to him, she couldn't break her promise.

With her hands shaking she picked up her phone and as a tear fell silently down her face she pressed 1 on her speed dial.

RING RING

RING RING

Deafening silence.

RING RING

Suddenly the line connected and she heard his voice, tired and groggy.

She'd clearly just woken him up and she instantly felt bad.

"Hey baby, are you okay?" Came the comforting sound of her boyfriend's voice.

"I promised I'd call you if I ever got the urge again."

"The urge?" She heard the confusion in his voice.

"Oh God!" She heard the realization but before she could say anything he continued desperately.

"Hold on baby I'll be right over, don't hang up or take that pill okay? I'll be there in 15."

She heard a bed creak as he got up and she willed him to get there faster.

He stayed on the phone with her the entire drive over, whispering sweetly into the phone that she was strong and that he loved her more than anything.

When he got there exactly 14 minutes and 27 seconds later he burst into her room and embraced her in an enormous hug.

Tears streamed down her face as he stroked her hair comfortingly, whispering sweet nothings into it.

He tried to take the pill from her hand but she pulled away, only making him more upset.

"You don't need this, okay? You're smart, funny, beautiful and I love you more than anything. I need you Spencer Hastings. Don't do this to me. Please."

She suddenly dropped the pill onto her creme carpet and cried harder.

She collapsed onto her bed in a fit of sobs, hating herself for putting the one person in the world that mattered most to her in this position.

Spencer then felt his hand on her back, rubbing it comfortingly.

She looked up at his tired face, tears still falling from her eyes.

"I'm so sorry..."  She whispered.

Toby was confused and looked at her questioningly.

"Sorry for what Spence?" He asked, more concerned than confused now.

"For dragging you into this, for forcing you to have to deal with a god damn druggie." She whispered.

Toby was infuriated by that.

"Listen to me Spencer Hastings, you are not a druggie, you're just having a little bump in the road. And you don't force me to deal with you, do you why I'm here? Why I stay for you? Why I'm going to help you through this? Because, Spencer, believe it or not I'm in love with you. So I'm staying for as long as you or I live." Ranted Toby, both upset and angry that his lover would believe she was a burden to him.

He smiled suddenly, "Besides, I've told you before that I know you Spencer, you never have to say you're sorry.."

Spencer began smiling too despite her tears.

"Now, go and get ready for bed Miss Hastings, I'm going to get rid of this." Said Toby, bending down and picking up the discarded pill in the carpet.

Spencer left the room and got ready, when she walked back in, Toby was lying on her bed in the pyjamas that he always left in case of situations like these.

The pill was now nowhere to be seen and Toby held his arms out, to encourage her to settle into bed and cuddle with him.

She obeyed and they were soon snuggled up together.

They were safe in the arms of the other and they both knew that it would always be that way...