13 • Nobody Hurt You Like I Hurt You (Happier Part 2)

Toby saw her out of the corner of his eye as she passed the window he was sat next to. He stopped the conversation he was having mid-sentence as his whole focus shifted onto the girl (well, woman) he hadn't seen in 3 and a half years.

Sophie, his company for the evening, followed his gaze and smiled "Ooh she's pretty, why don't you go ask for her number?". She suggested.

"Kinda already have it." Toby smiled grimly.

"Uh oh, okay is she a one-night-stand who you didn't call back or didn't call you back, a high school acquaintance you'd rather not see or an ex?" Sophie pushed.

Toby liked Sophie, he really did, but sometimes she could be a little too forward. He couldn't really complain though, that was exactly the reason he'd picked her to be his new company manager for "Cavanaugh Carpentry".

"An ex." Toby sighed.

Spencer had now sat down at a table not too far away with, from what it looked it from the back, her mom.

"How long where you guys together?" asked Sophie.

She seemed more genuine now.

Toby grinned widely, thinking of every precious moment he'd had with Spencer.

"Almost 4 years. Junior and senior years of high school then freshman and sophomore years of college."

Sophie snuck a glance at Spencer. "Dude, don't look but she's totally staring you out. We can go if you want."

Toby paused, thinking it over. "No." he decided "I need to see her." 

"You wanna go talk to her? I won't mind, I can order us another round while you do." Sophie asked.

"Later maybe, looks like she's actually getting on with her Mom right now, I wouldn't wanna disturb that, it was pretty rare they weren't fighting when we were together." Toby responded thoughtfully.

"If you don't mind me asking, how come you guys broke up?  Sophie enquired. She knew this was probably not the most professional thing to ask her new boss but they were out for celebratory drinks so she supposed the professional standards kinda went out the window.

"No it's fine. We had a pregnancy scare during her sophomore year of college. We had a big fight, decided we didn't want the same thing anymore and I walked out that dorm room sobbing and never went back."  Toby replied, fighting to keep the tears that were welling up from falling.

"Oh God, that's awful, I'm so sorry. That's one thing I'm so glad will never happen to me and Charlie."

Toby snorted. "Kinda hard to have a pregnancy scare when you're in a relationship where you can't get pregnant."

Charlie had actually been the one to introduce Toby and Sophie. She'd hired Toby to fix up her apartment a little so it was suitable for 2 people and had introduced the person it was for: Sophie.

She was a chatty girl and had told Toby all about the fact she and Sophie had got together the year after college ended, how Sophie was a great manager but hated her job and how she wished her girlfriend would leave and get a new one.

Toby had told her he was looking to hire a manager and a month later, here they were. Charlie had been invited to the dinner and drinks but had to babysit her nephew instead.

Sophie grinned, "I'll drink to that." and the two clincked their champagne glasses.

The two finished their meal and drinks, Toby occasionally sneaking glances at Spencer and her mom. They left pretty quickly. Toby thought it was kinda funny. After all, he and Spencer were know for being able to spend hours in a restaurant, taking, laughing, telling each other about the mad characters they met through work or college.

About 15 minutes after Spencer and her mom had left, Sophie stood.

"Well Mr Cavanaugh, a pleasure as always, thank you for that. I'll have to bring Charlie here some time." She said, bringing Toby into a hug.

Toby smiled "Please tell her I say hi and I'll see her soon."

"Will do!"  Sophie said as she headed out the door and towards her car.

Toby paid for the meal and drinks and began the walk back to his house. He'd built it especially, well actually he built it for Spencer, obviously begun before they'd broken up, and he was proud of how he'd finished it even though he had been hurting so badly.

He got in, changed into some joggers and checked his phone. He nearly recoiled when he saw his notifications.

5 mins ago from: Spence: 2 Messages.

Damn, he still hadn't changed her contact name. He opened up that contact so many times in the last 3 and a half years. He'd start writing but would just think "she's better off without me." and close it again.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the messages.

He laughed when he read the first one.

"I saw you on your date tonight but I didn't want to interrupt."

He would have to tell Sophie, she would think that's hilarious.

His smile faded reading the next one.

"You looked happier."

No one would ever be able to make him as happy as Spencer did. No one.

He typed back. "Yes, well as a blonde lesbian in a committed relationship that I've just hired to be my manager, she isn't really my usual type but i've been out of the dating game a while."

He sent it, took another breath and typed.

"No one could make me happier than you did."

And he pressed send.

A/N: Some people asked for a part 2 so I thought I'd deliver. I'm pretty sure I'll do a Part 3 if that's something you guys would want. Love, as always, -A x